Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I thought I'd open this discussion so we can describe our setups & find out what we're all doing.

Bob & I are in the Gilbert area, raising tilapia in a greenhouse in a 200 gal IBC setup w/about 45 larger fish. We built the system last Feb and added tilapia in April. We're hoping to start harvesting fish next Feb. In the meantime, we're getting a handle on the veggies.

We also have a 300gal tote in the ground with a bunch of smaller tilapia.We have a couple of tanks we're setting up, one will run a couple flats of duckweed, another will run some a vertical herb garden. We have our breeders indoors; one male, two females and a couple hundred fingerlings (for sale). :)

Views: 822

Replies to This Discussion

Just started cutting my IBC tanks up yesterday. I am building  a CHOP 2 system on some forums also known as CHIFT PIST

I have gotten alot of info from  http://aquaponics.net.au/ alot of you seem to be having trouble balanceing your sytems. This guy talks alot about that and makes it look easy. He talks about PH and how it relates to the fish and plants. He talks about PH lock out and what it does to the plants and fish. So the happy meduim should be about 6.5-6.8 PH. Yes the talapia can handle poor water but (Balance young grasshoper is the key) 

Great point. Sorry to say, the key is getting started.. from there fine tune it and make it work for you. During our tour in Tucson, a comment made to me was, "You make everything yourself?" 

I enjoy this work/hobby.

In a grad school class on greenhouse design, I mentioned the easiest way for me to grow my own food is in an aquaponic system.

Just do it!   We are a bunch of helpful people in this culture.

OH

I hope you post some pictures. Thank you

Larry said:

Just started cutting my IBC tanks up yesterday. I am building  a CHOP 2 system on some forums also known as CHIFT PIST

I have gotten alot of info from  http://aquaponics.net.au/ alot of you seem to be having trouble balanceing your sytems. This guy talks alot about that and makes it look easy. He talks about PH and how it relates to the fish and plants. He talks about PH lock out and what it does to the plants and fish. So the happy meduim should be about 6.5-6.8 PH. Yes the talapia can handle poor water but (Balance young grasshoper is the key) 

Dave's so right, getting started is the biggest challenge. Once the initial balancing act is past and the system matures, PH falls into place. Grasshopper, balance is everything! Looking forward to your updates!

Sherri and others in the Phoenix area:

Last year there was talk of a March tour up there. This year one of you talked about an April tour. Is anything being planned?

My thought is you don't need a big beautiful system to plan and make the tour happen. Let me know, I would like to come-up for your tour.

Oh I post this in the wrong place

changing it now

Dave Story said:

Sherri and others in the Phoenix area:

Last year there was talk of a March tour up there. This year one of you talked about an April tour. Is anything being planned?

My thought is you don't need a big beautiful system to plan and make the tour happen. Let me know, I would like to come-up for your tour.

Is this the system your going to be putting in the ground? Is it going to be open air or maybe some sort of shade structure? I would love to have you as a place where we tour in April.

John Malone said:

I'm located in North Phoenix and this is my design.  I've pretty much got the pieces cut and ready to assemble, but since it looks like we're moving house soon I've paused the installation.

What I've show here is the final goal.  The initial implementation won't have the swirl filter and only one grow bed.  It's designed to be as simple and compact as possible, so that it will fit easily into my backyard and there's hopefully not a lot to go wrong.   The fish tank is designed to be sunk into the ground by 12"-18".     Fish tank is 6'x4'x3'.  Grow beds are 6'x4'x1'.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

John

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service