Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have put together a swirl filter.  it is in a 55 gallon drum. the water goes in 15 inches from the bottom at a 90 degree angle.  it goes out about 25 inches from the bottom strait to my sump tank.  as the water is pouring in the sump tank, i add a mesh filter 9 ( A mesh bag).  To my disappointment, after two days of operation.  the mesh bag is full of fish poop.  I opened the faucet at the bottom of barrel, and drained water out.  it was almost clear. any advice on what to do?

thanks

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Slowdown the water from FT to filter. If it goes to fast, to poop does not go to the bottom. You can also ad a screen, just below the output to the sump. Then the poop can't get to the sump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRhZUoIWujo&ab_channel=TomBrueggen

Henriette - Denmark :)

Thank you for replying.  At any rate, I am NOT going to do anything to slow the water from FT to SF.  I spent the last couple of years learning how to speed up the turnover of the FT and not about to undo what I have accomplished :)

I watched your youtube, it looks like and extra maintenance to be added.  That cover has to be taken out and cleaned every so often.

I just have a whole in the bottom of the SF and I open it and it fills a two liter bottle with "dirty" water before the water goes clear.  I do this every week with 15 medium size fishes.  Good enough for me.

Thanks

I believe the water should go in much higher than 15 inches from the bottom.  However, take a look at the modification shown in this video, which causes the solids to change direction.  Mesh filters should not be necessary.  Could you show a photo of your build?

https://youtu.be/RVzNcU8EnwU

it is in a 55 gallon drum. the water goes in 15 inches from the bottom

Hi

Yes- your inlet is agitating the stuff

Inflow: - move your inlet to top - you can also extend the inflow pipe after your 90deg bend to follow profile of tank for - to ensre more laminated inflow.

Outflow: - using inverse U-bend for overflow outlet to keep drifting stuff in filter.  ~U at same height (cm or so lower) as inflow

Screens: Add a few screens at the bottom - I've used 2L ice cream tubs - the obstruction seems to help with poo settling out in to the tubs - easy to take out.

Our SF have the inlet fitting about 6 inches below the surface and we point the elbow down. It works pretty well. I have to get in there with a shop vac every week or so and get the solids off the bottom to go out into the soil. I also like what Pieter said about having an extension on the inflow pipe. What does your outflow look like?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service