Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have a 250 Gallon fish tank with about 170 tilapia.  I also have a ST that is 250 Gallons.  I have a air pump that pumps about 9000 cubic inches per minutes that I use to make compost tea.

if I put that pump in the FT, it is too much movement for the fish.  my question is, if I put it

in the ST and have it run all the time, would that increase the amout of Oxygon for the fish?

Do I still need to manage Surface aeration in the FT?

Thanks

Views: 424

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Moe. It would increase the amount of oxygen for the fish. I've always been told that you can't have to much aeration for the fish unless you're blowing the water out of the tank. You need to make sure that you get enough oxygen to the fish or you will lose them. If you go to the home page and search for aerating your fish tank, you should come up with methods to do so.

Moe, Jack is right about the oxygen but I have around 1000 Tilapia in a 275 gallon IBC with a 100 gallon sump. the only aeration they get is the return water from the GB splashing and a second pump spraying the surface as a backup in case of a primary pump problem. I bought a sizable air pump but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm in the process of adding 2 more GBs and will be putting a venture on the return lines to the sump. BTW anybody want some Tilapia?

I built a Venturi on the inlet to my FT. It pulls in a lot of air, so much that the water that is immediately entering looks white with bubbles. I am hoping that as the fish get large it is enough oxygen for them. Time will tell I guess.
Jeff, I might be, where you located?

yikes.. 170 fish in 250 gallons?  i'd add air, and only keep them in that size tank a short time..

do you have some kind of filtration besides growbeds?

Mike I'm in the Detroit area. Not many aquapons around here. I have so many fish that I can't feed them enough to grow them out.

I'm in the So Cal area. Do you mind shipping.? I will cover it all.

Hi Jeff. I'm in NH. Do you mind shipping ?

Hi Keith, i am working on building a swirl/bio filter.  now, I am using stockings at three outlets and clean them daily.  I originally started with 200.  30 died the first night and then after that they have been happy! can not complain.

Keith Rowan said:

yikes.. 170 fish in 250 gallons?  i'd add air, and only keep them in that size tank a short time..

do you have some kind of filtration besides growbeds?

Jack & Mike, I've never shipped any fish. I'm not sure how to go about it. As far as I can tell I have Blue Tilapia. Nothing fancy about them. I can't even tell you which ones are male or female. Guess I'd be willing to give shipping a try.

I might be interested in buying some too, if you get the shipping part figured out. :) I will let you know in a couple months when I get the system built out. Maybe this would help:

http://www.ups.com/animals

Jeff S said:

Jack & Mike, I've never shipped any fish. I'm not sure how to go about it. As far as I can tell I have Blue Tilapia. Nothing fancy about them. I can't even tell you which ones are male or female. Guess I'd be willing to give shipping a try.

JeffS here's my email: mike(at)henderson6(dot)com
Let me know if I can help with finding out any info for you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service