this might seem a bit odd or kiddish, but I recently built a small media based system. It had each of the following characteristics:
a Ph of about 7.2
a gravel based media
an above ground irrigation system (constant flow)
a water temperature of about 18-22 C
it is an indoor system
it ran on fluroscent lights
it had a 14 hour light cycle
Within a few days of installation, the strawberry plants flourished. They flowered without stopping , and I started artificially pollinating them. They produced many small fruit that seemed extremely healthy. However, I could not help but notice that the crowns seemed a bit rose-ish. Nonetheless, I ignored the pink color and started admiring those wonderfull fruits turning red.
On one night while examining the fruit, i couldn't help but notice the terrible smell of rotting fruit. As I examined the plant more thoroughly, I found out that the crown was turning brown and seemingly rotting, I knew that water at 80 C would destroy any nematoda diseases. so I poured boiled water onto the plants hoping it would save them. Unfortunately, the plants all died slowly.
All I want to know is what happened so that I may avoid these mistakes in my second attempt,