Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Does anybody keep snails in your system on purpose? I put some in 2 weeks ago, and they are feasting on the algae.

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes...I keep trapdoor snails. They are easy to control and are live-bearing...none of that jell junk...

The typical pond snails are voracious breeders and if that's what you have, you may end up with LOTS more than you need!

I have snails in my sump tank.   They are really eliminating my algae problem.   they are also breeding, and now are all over the place -- being sucked into my irrigation feed lines and causing clogs.   looking for a solution now. 

pumpkin seed and red eared sunfish eat snails.

Jonathan Trease said:

I have snails in my sump tank.   They are really eliminating my algae problem.   they are also breeding, and now are all over the place -- being sucked into my irrigation feed lines and causing clogs.   looking for a solution now. 

Why not just eat them? I mean escargot is a tasty dish and the common garden variet is only a slightly distant cousin that can be eaten just the same. Some preperation is necessary (de-slimming) but well worth the effort. They are also a great source of protien.

Window screen inlet filters. The screen is big enough to not clog yet small enough to keep small snails from getting sucked in.

I have a snail named SpeedRacer because he has racing stripes

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service