Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I've got a slight, though annoying, slug problem, and I'm considering using Sluggo brand slug bait and killer.

From manufacturer:
SLUGGO is an advanced slug killer, designed for use in modern farming practices where environmental considerations are more important than ever. SLUGGO is safe to mammals, fish, birds and all aquatic species including beneficial slug predators. SLUGGO has no harvest interval, it has been approved on all crops and also organic certified.

Any experience? It is 1% iron phosphate, not sure what the other 99% inert ingredients are. Iron and phosphate both hold promise of benefitting AP, not sure of the risk of toxicity when applied modestly on a dry-topped media bed.

Views: 1303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good to hear, Jesse. I am perplexed, however, why Sluggo molds when it gets wet? And pellets that have found their way in my raft bed actually end up floating and making a slime ball on the bottoms of the rafts. Anyway, still all good for safely killing snails, and OMRI approved.

"why (not) a duck?"- groucho marx

I used a beer bait if I had any doubts.  Must be some stale beer around???  Putsome in a shallow bowl, they crawl in and drown in what I assume is a state of bliss.  The chickens might like beer (battered) slugs.

copper tape around the stems of your favorite plants works too. and to those scared of poisoning fish, the copper never touches water (it's on the stem of the plant!).

So as long as it doesn't touch the water, then yeah, it's probably really effective. I'll have to try that for my hydro' and soil plants. 
Averan said:

copper tape around the stems of your favorite plants works too. and to those scared of poisoning fish, the copper never touches water (it's on the stem of the plant!).

What is old beer?  Never had any around long enough to get old or warm for that matter.

Eric Warwick said:

Why, you're supposed to use old beer. But, I guess you didn't know that existed.


Vlad Jovanovic said:

Jon, I can attest to Ruperts beer method working in the garden. Don't see why it'd be any different in AP. (If you can get over wasting perfectly good beer). 

It's this thing where you over-purchase terrible tasting beer for an event (Wedding, Bar Mitzvah, Communion(?), College Graduation, etc.) and you have tons left over because everyone went to the micro-brew you bought specifically for yourself and a few hipsters/beer snobs. So then it spends 5+ years in the fridge because you can't bring yourself to throw it away.  I'm 16, so I call it "slug-killer beer", rather than what most people call it: "PBR". 

Post Script: Yes, yes I am from Seattle. 

Bob Terrell said:

What is old beer?  Never had any around long enough to get old or warm for that matter.

Eric Warwick said:

Why, you're supposed to use old beer. But, I guess you didn't know that existed.


Vlad Jovanovic said:

Jon, I can attest to Ruperts beer method working in the garden. Don't see why it'd be any different in AP. (If you can get over wasting perfectly good beer). 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service