Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Should we sink 2 1500g tanks into the floor of our greenhouse?? CHOP2 system?

John and I have a 48X30' greenhouse that is finally assembled.  Yay! Now onto the design...  We have been sitting on a 1500g and a 2200g tank, thinking we'd use it for our biodiesel production.  However, our new idea is to sink both those puppies into the ground for two ponds of fish!  We think a CHOP2 system would be best.  Any feedback on this idea would be greatly appreciated!!

Views: 538

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My tank is in the ground, and I like it that way.  However, I use an indexing valve, filling one bed at a time and drain directly back to the tank.  I have no sump or siphons so I can't speak to the CHOP2.  You have two fairly large tanks so it's a question as to whether or not you'll really need both of them.  Possibly you should design a system around one tank and then expand later if you need to.  Looking around on this site, you'll see lots of combination systems that make sense.  Keep in mind that the more heavily you stock with fish, the more filtering and aeration you will need.  Good luck.

I would think it would depend on the type of fish your intend to raise. Obviously if you are intending to raise Tilapia you will loose a lot of heat to the ground unless you insulate, however if you are going for a cold water fish like bluegill or trout then it could be advantageous. The best design for a UVI type system in northern climates, would be to put your fish and filter tanks in a small insulated shed where you can more easily control the temperature. You then insulate the DWC troughs and keep your greenhouse a few degrees above freezing on those cold winter nights.

I thought by putting it in the ground I'd be insulating it better, but I see your point Jonathan!  George, I think starting one at a time might be a great idea!  Thank you so much guys!

My tank is the ground also. So far I like it that way, but even if I didn't I'm stuck with it lol. I have a quesstion for you if you don't mind. My greenhouse is 26x48 and I have a propane heater I need to install. Would you mind getting me some pics of yours if you have one, it seems like I saw an exit for exhaust. I was trying to get some ideas of where/how to install mine.

Thanks

Attachments:

The man we bought it from had unlimited Natural Gas on his property (lucky), so we now own that type of furnace!  Meaning, we are brainstorming ways to use our knowledge of biodiesel, heat-sinks, and composting to heat.  A wood-burner is an option too. 

I will link what I have before we disassembled it:)

'Love your set-up!  It's nice and neat!

-Lana

Attachments:

Thanks Lana for the pics and compliments. I would love to see more of you guys setup! 

Those pics will help a lot. My heater looks just like that except its propane. I have also thought about other alternative ways to heat. I was looking at one of those steel 55 gallon barrels, you can use one or two stacked on top of each other to heat the greenhouse. I'm sure it would be cheaper than propane by far.

Thanks again 

I have a friend who swears by Monitor stoves to heat with veg oil (since you mentioned bio-diesel)

http://www.monitorheat.com/oil_products.html

I prefer the concept of wood gasification, for wood-powered electricity with loads of free heat as a byproduct. 

http://gekgasifier.com/

My goal in life... grow algae in tubes along north wall, press into Bio-fuel, dry mash feed fish, Bio-fuel heats greenhouse and runs tractor on farm, fish feeds plants and grows algae, and the symbiotic cycle goes on!

Lana Jaworski said:

The man we bought it from had unlimited Natural Gas on his property (lucky), so we now own that type of furnace!  Meaning, we are brainstorming ways to use our knowledge of biodiesel, heat-sinks, and composting to heat.  A wood-burner is an option too. 

I will link what I have before we disassembled it:)

'Love your set-up!  It's nice and neat!

-Lana

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service