Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

does our group have the names or brands of paint for the tote containers to protect from uv and also a paint for wood that protects from sun and water that is safe for fish,

thanks

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not cheap but one of the best paints for ponds, grow beds etc

http://www.pondcoat.co.uk/

i had a chat with our local paint company here in cyprus today . he said a primer and then a top coat of any outdoor paint for the plastic tote, then he suggested plastic bumper paint for the cars so i will give this bumper paint a go and let you guys know

Yeah, I don't know if I'd use "any outdoor paint"...you probably want a 100% acrylic water based outdoor paint. Don't go in for anything with "acrylic co-polymer" in the ingredient mix, as 'acrylic co-polymer' seems to have become an industry code-word for vinyl...and vinyl is not something you want.

Also, rough up any plastic surfaces with some med/med/fine grit sand paper before you paint it, otherwise any paint you apply has a tendency to peel and flake off much, much easier after a bit of time. So rough the surface up to give it some tooth for the paint to adhere to...

Good Luck...

yep , bumper paint does the job, perfect finish , willl post pics soon !

This is an issue I have been struggling with but in a little different situation.  I have 3, 5' 6", tall tanks that were used for an industrial water system (The Blue Bladder Pressure tanks) to a large store. I want to cut out rectangular piece for a door, on it's side mount them Horizontally.  My end use is to turn them into large drum Compost Drums.  I want to repaint outsides (no problem) and paint insides.  Need a paint suggestion so I won't affect my Organic Compost? Also I want the Drums to last as they were hard to get in the first place.

Thank you!

http://www.pondcoat.co.uk/

Bill Bailey said:

This is an issue I have been struggling with but in a little different situation.  I have 3, 5' 6", tall tanks that were used for an industrial water system (The Blue Bladder Pressure tanks) to a large store. I want to cut out rectangular piece for a door, on it's side mount them Horizontally.  My end use is to turn them into large drum Compost Drums.  I want to repaint outsides (no problem) and paint insides.  Need a paint suggestion so I won't affect my Organic Compost? Also I want the Drums to last as they were hard to get in the first place.

Thank you!

The real issue for me with paint is labor.   Instead I used "carbonized" lumber.  Impervious to mold, water, insects...lasts a lifetime of more.  Not readily available but the real solution.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service