Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have cement swimming pool that I plan to stock with fish for my 'ponics.  Do I need to seal it?  If so, any foodsafe submersible sealers that are also inexpensive that you recommend? 

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are a number of cementitious waterproofing compounds for application to concrete that are also rated as safe for use with potable water (NSF/ANSI 61). Aquafin-1K is one. We've specified it in grey water cisterns. Confirm your planned application with the manufacturer. The concrete surface may need treatment to ensure a good bond:  scarification, or light sand blasting, may be needed.

I can't say that this will be "inexpensive." The world is littered with failed coating projects where people tried to save a few bucks.

Thanks!  I contacted AquaticEcosystems and ordered an epoxy from them.  Everyone had an opinion, but they are experts.

Phil Kabza said:

There are a number of cementitious waterproofing compounds for application to concrete that are also rated as safe for use with potable water (NSF/ANSI 61). Aquafin-1K is one. We've specified it in grey water cisterns. Confirm your planned application with the manufacturer. The concrete surface may need treatment to ensure a good bond:  scarification, or light sand blasting, may be needed.

I can't say that this will be "inexpensive." The world is littered with failed coating projects where people tried to save a few bucks.

Epoxies typically break down from exposure to UV in sunlight; hopefully they have taken that into consideration in their recommendation, or you do not have an exposed condition around the pool perimeter that will cause you future trouble.

G Mo said:

Thanks!  I contacted AquaticEcosystems and ordered an epoxy from them.  Everyone had an opinion, but they are experts.

Phil Kabza said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service