Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi Everyone! We're Expanding! We are pleased to announce that we have just received the necessary permits to build a new greenhouse. This 1200 square foot, state-of-the-art building will utilize some of our latest technology to enhance the building’s energy conservation, as well as monitor and control an aquaponics growing system. The greenhouse will be used for our research and development, and it will become the focal point of the farm as a visitor center. Construction is scheduled to start this spring and we are eagerly waiting for the ground to thaw.

This video is the first part of a series I'll produce over the next year or so. I hope you enjoy the adventure!

Views: 5211

Replies to This Discussion

A sneak preview of my next video.  ;-)

what temps are you getting rob?

Rob,

where did you get your twinwall poly from?

I don't have anything that can measure the burn tunnel (yet), but my laser reader maxed out at 500.  It cant read the top of the barrel.  About 1/4 down from the top it's around 450, at the bottom of the barrel, it's about 250.   about 1/2 along the horizontal vent, it was around 130, and the exhaust is about 90.  It was quite impressive!

Nate Storey said:

what temps are you getting rob?

There's a greenhouse supplier here in CT that I got it from.  W.H. Milikowski Inc.

Scott LeFoll said:

Rob,

Rob Torcellini said:

There's a greenhouse supplier here in CT that I got it from.  W.H. Milikowski Inc.

Scott LeFoll said:

Rob,

Rob how do plan on keeping the rocket stove fed with fuel. When I was researching their use having to feed them quite often manually was one of the drawbacks, I thought for using them in a greenhouse that may be unattended for long periods of time say over night? Also do you have to pass any building inspections for the greenhouse?

My long-term goal is to build a pellet feeder and let it self feed.  I'll start to experiment with that next winter.  I want to make it so I can easily change it out where I can feed it wood during the day, then pellets at night or if I'm too lazy to split the wood. 

I have to go through normal building inspections.  The building official doesn't know about the RMH yet.    On the permit, the building is classified as "experimental" which gives me some room to push the limits.  He's pretty relaxed so I'm not too worried about getting the occupancy permit.

Tony Tarantino said:

Rob how do plan on keeping the rocket stove fed with fuel. When I was researching their use having to feed them quite often manually was one of the drawbacks, I thought for using them in a greenhouse that may be unattended for long periods of time say over night? Also do you have to pass any building inspections for the greenhouse?

Very impressive!

I thought part of the point of rocket mass heaters is that you're heating up the mass through which the heated exhaust is passing. How has that been working in your case?

I'm heartened to hear your temperature experience - I've been a bit afraid to actually hook up my piping through the cinder blocks under my DWC tank (and next to my 150 gallon tank) for fear the temperatures would remain so high that I'd be dealing with melted plastic.

As for permits, I asked the county people down here. They've confirmed I don't need a permit, since my greenhouse isn't a permanent structure, my rocket mass heater is a glorified outdoor barbecue-type of stove (by one view), and isn't even inside my non-permanent greenhouse.

The mass part is working OK so far.  I ran out of sand so it's not entirely buried yet.  (I went with sand instead of clay or rocks so I could easily dig it up, if needed.)  The area that is buried isn't retaining a lot of heat yet because the sand is wet and the water is still evaporating out.  I think that part is going to take a while!

I can stand about a foot away from the 55 gal drum and get nice and toasty.  Felt good today since it's 18 outside.  The greenhouse got up to 34.  Considering that there are no seals around the doors and no insulation in the wall & I can feel the air drafting through the building, I'm happy with the performance.

My first change will be to add an ash pit below the stack area.  I had this burning for 2 days and it is starting to choke a bit.  The trick will be cleaning it out on a regular basis but keeping it running!

The rocket mass heater is up and running and it's quite the inferno!  It will be quite interesting to add some enhancements to it in the future.  I"m hoping to cover the entire unit and pump the heat under the floor to increase the thermal mass.  And, make it so it can burn either wood or pellets!

Bravo! Very nice work Rob.  Thanks for sharing your journey with the rest of us.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service