Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I'm using an ActiveAqua pump in my system, and the pump comes with a built-in filter that I've been leaving in and occasionally cleaning.

Should I actually remove this filter, so that sludge and debris is pumped up to the beds?  Just curious what others are doing.  Thanks for the help.

Views: 492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You want to keep debris (and baby fish!) out of the pump.   Some poop will get through, I made a sediment tank out of a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.  The input to the tank goes through a fitting in the side and into a right angle turned downward 45 degrees.  The output is taken from a right angle oriented upward and flows through another fitting in the side.  A stopcock at the bottom dispenses the poop.  I had to clamp the lid down tight by sandwiching the bucket between two pieces of thick plywood attached to each other with chains and turnkey tighening dohickies.  Ugly but it works!

remove foam filter - use the perforated guard.

pump the fish waste to gravel beds

I concur George; remove the filter.

George said:

remove foam filter - use the perforated guard.

pump the fish waste to gravel beds

I have been without the foam filter for many months with no problems.  I occasionally have to clear the debris from around the perforated screen.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service