Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

So, I hate fish. Well, eating them anyways. So I had to find something that I like to eat. In comes Mr. Red Claw Crayfish <--click link. Vegeterian, non territorial, prolific breeder, gets to 1.25 pounds. Sounds good to me! So I went in search of the elusive Red Claw. There were only a few people that carry them 2 here in California and one I found in Florida. The one in Florida is the only one that bothered returning my call and answering my E-mails. So they get my business. The place is called Stick Fins Fish Farm <--click link. I ordered them last week they shipped yesterday via USPS Express Mail and arrived alive and happy 11 A.M. at my doorstep. I highly recommend Stick Fins!

Here are some pics:

I love presents!

Arrived packaged well. Styrofoam box, care sheet, heat packs, double bagged with ammonia reducer pellets.

Yummy!

In a quarantine tank til spring

This is a "small breeder".

Views: 8199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. I am going to keep them with other fish. That is the aquarium guy in me. I hate having just one type of livestock. I'm not in it for production yet.
They are adorable!  You must be a proud pappa
thanks for the link let us know how it goes
Nice.  They are big enough to not be eaten by the tilapia.  I can see some in my fish tanks with maybe a waterproof security camera down there to keep an eye on the activity :-)

Chi Ma, Your 'red' claws make me 'green'  :-)

I could drive to Stick Fins in an hour or so....but I can't have them, unless I get a permit for them. Then I have to be raising them for a 'commercial' reason.

Today I made some Crayfish condos out of 2.5 inch PVC.

What are you putting theses guys in a big stock tank  and do you have to add a gravel for them to breed in?

I'm putting them in this system here.

http://aquaponicscommunity.com/forum/topics/hi-from-saratoga-ca

Nick Rizzo said:

What are you putting theses guys in a big stock tank  and do you have to add a gravel for them to breed in?
Cool!  How many do you think you can keep in a system?  There was a study done at the University of Nebraska a few years ago with prawns and from what I read you could not grow very many versus the amount of water needed.  But, they were not doing AP.  Keep us updated.
Well if you are growing 3 dimensionally stocking densities can be quite high. I'm doing 1/sqft for right now. later when i have babies I will put milk crates in so they can live vertically:)

k edmonds said:
Cool!  How many do you think you can keep in a system?  There was a study done at the University of Nebraska a few years ago with prawns and from what I read you could not grow very many versus the amount of water needed.  But, they were not doing AP.  Keep us updated.

Looks great Chi!  Looking forward to hearing your updates.

Those look awesome.  I'm just planning my first system.  I'm going to start with Tilapia, but that looks like something I'm going to keep in mind for down the road.  Good luck, I look forward to seeing your future posts!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service