Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Just wanted to give a thought on pump placement in an aquaponic system. I have set several pumps over the years as a landscape contractor. The best way to set a pump is to use a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Take the bucket an set it on its side and cut 5 inch long slits in it with a skillsaw. Put these all over the sides of the bucket. Cut a hole that fits the size of your pipe and electric cord tightly. Place the pump in the bucket. Then push your pipe and wire through the lid and snap lid tightly. Make sure you remove the fine filter you dont need it anymore. This system takes your suction point of just a 1 inch point to over 300 sq inches. This also keeps out all fingerlings. NOT FRY. You will only have to clean every 6 months this way. I will take pics of mine this weekend and post. Hope this helps with the plugging and constant cleaning.

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

interesting... i could have used this before, but now i have a max-flo 600 which is pretty awesome... in a pond i used to have to clean my danner magdrive foam filter every day, so far my max-flo went a month without cleaning in same system.
i home-made a pond filter box with a small plastic box, filter matt and bioballs but cleaning it sucked.

David....just came across this post....did you ever get a chance to take that picture?  I would love to see it...

Thanks!

Albert I forgot to. I will take some this weekend and post them.

Jim Weeks said:

David....just came across this post....did you ever get a chance to take that picture?  I would love to see it...

Thanks!

Sorry about the name goof Jim.

Jim Weeks said:

Thanks!

We have made bucket filters for awhile.

We use a course filter pad on top and a fine filter pad below,

adding media around the pump works well.

Kirk in our case we want the fish waste in our systems just not the fish.
You can use the course white pad above the pump, with the courseness of the pad, most fine solid waste will be passed through,
Jim took a pic of my pump setup that I use. Hope it helps. Its on my page now.

Jim Weeks said:

Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service