Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Prop 37 is more than a California Proposition! 

We have a right to know.  California's vote can change the way our nation label food.

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/10/24/michael_pollan_californias_p...

Views: 429

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone have link to the bill. See a lot of mixed emotions on this. Lots of stuff is exempt. If a farmer screws up in the supply line somewhere he can be liable for a lot of cashola...
Be very careful with this. As a farmer you can be held liable because you did not track the sourcing of the seeds that you planted to get those tomatoes your are trying to sell. You will need to prove that the seeds that you purchased and planted were not altered, but it does not end there the company buying your tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce will be held to keep records of all of the contents of the sauce. This will be come a nightmare and it will be filled with lawsuits with no burden of damages and the small farmer can be drug into the lawsuit because of someone down stream not labeling the products correctly.
The bill sounds poorly drafted, but I def like the idea of having labeled food. I don't understand why so many items are exempt as well. Sometimes the exact same item; depending no who is selling...

i think that the whole of the farming industry is using the gmo crops like crack or herrion they are addicted to only buying seeds and never collection and haveing space set aside for a seed bank! 

if you weigh the good with the bad the good wins by a long shot

lableing of gmo foods should have happend in the verry beginning .unfortunately good or bad it needs to happen!  how much of the ceaser salad that you get or make is gmo 70%? 100%?

this will also help the small several acre farmers jump in to making a living off of farming fruits or veg!

i could go on like this for hours.but i just leavit here for now!!

Today 95% of U.S. sugar beets, 94% of soybeans, 90% of cotton and 88% of feed corn are genetically modifiedin in the USA

Lettuce?  Not GMO.  Tomatoes? I can't find where GMO tomato seed has been available since 1997; it was a failed experiment.

"The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations has put together a terrific webpage outlining the main arguments against GMOs. These include the fact that genes can end up in unexpected places and can mutate with harmful effect. There can be a tremendous impact on birds, insects and soil."  Quote from a Huffington Post article today.

The potential of GMO labeling increasing people's grocery bill argument doesn't hold water for me.  The same point was presented before the requirement to put nutritional labeling on food---and proved to be untrue.

Researching, I found an editorial commenter's statement about Monsanto feeding its employees 100% organic food in its cafeteria.  That seemed really strange but I then found this---http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/Blogs/makingwaves/e...

Re Prop 37:  "Food manufacturers are required to label 3000 different ingredients in California, and this is just about labeling 9 specific GM plant components: Soy, Sugar beets, Corn, Canola, Cotton Seed, Crooked-Neck Squash, Zucchini, Papaya, Pineapple and definite specific threshold levels." 

"In order for a suit to be launched, one needs a positive test for one of these components over the %5 threshold from a state-certified lab."

I found it interesting restaurant food, cheese, and meat are exempt from labeling.......

I think the important thing is that we get GMO recognized for what it is.   Once we have a choice the power will be in our hands not Monsanto's.   If the public decides to buy non-GMO food it will send a message.  We will be able to vote with our purchases.

We never had a say in this,  It's about time that we get that chance.   

This past year, Vermont and Connecticut were two of seventeen states with GMO legislation pending.  It failed there, even with up to 90% public support, because the governors caved to Monsanto's threat to sue.

California is different because this is a proposition before the voters.  

And the rest of the nation's anti-GMO people are counting on CA passing this (with the assumption that producers won't make two labels---one for CA and another for the rest of the states) and thus everyone will benefit.

i may have never been able to put it like this.... short, sweet and perfectly outlines why it is inportant to have this signed in!

and like bob said give me a choice of what i eat!

Rebecca B said:

This past year, Vermont and Connecticut were two of seventeen states with GMO legislation pending.  It failed there, even with up to 90% public support, because the governors caved to Monsanto's threat to sue.

California is different because this is a proposition before the voters.  

And the rest of the nation's anti-GMO people are counting on CA passing this (with the assumption that producers won't make two labels---one for CA and another for the rest of the states) and thus everyone will benefit.

Farmers can not save seed from 47% the crops grown now.  Monsanto owns the DNA.  Crops are designed to grow in a regular bathing of herbicides.  I'd rather eat weeds,  in fact I do.  

Take a Weed to Lunch

I see you have a definite interest in this "must be passed" bill. I have been following monsanto for years now. It all started when I saw a video in netflix about the fight against Schmeiser vs. monsanto. Come to find out that Percy Schmeiser is from Bruno, Saskatuwan Canada where my grandparents are from. I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Schmeiser this last August. Anyway Im sure you know that monsanto is the anti christ and must be stopped! I dont see how this bill wont be passed, do you?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service