Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Are you trying to figure out what pump type you should get?  A special part for a siphon?  AC/DC aerator? Something to use for a grow bed?  Post your questions here and get help from other members.  

Views: 1275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, I'll be the first to recomend something....

'IF' you live in FL....... I recomend a book called MONTH BY MONTH GARDENING IN FL by Tom MacCubbin. I'm consatntly going back to mine, to check on different info. If you 'only use' the chapter on veggies, it's well worth it.
Mine is dog eared, wrinkled and has a coffee stain or two.....lol... I can't give it a better recomendation then that.
And I'll be the first to ask a question...what are people using for grow beds? If you stick to the 12" deep rule there just ain't much out there. We raised our hydroponic flood and drain trays using plywood and pond liner, but that was a massive pain in the backside. What are you using?
2x12 frame with plywood bottom, lined with 1/4" mesh reinforced ferrocement. Bombproof and more susainable over time and has kept my highly acidic (below 6) water buffered at 7.6 max. It's a good amount of work, but well worth it.

Sylvia Bernstein said:
And I'll be the first to ask a question...what are people using for grow beds? If you stick to the 12" deep rule there just ain't much out there. We raised our hydroponic flood and drain trays using plywood and pond liner, but that was a massive pain in the backside. What are you using?
While I haven't used them yet personally I was just looking at this site today in preparation for building a system for my neighbor. The sheep tanks look like excellent grow beds, but maybe not the cheapest option out there.

http://www.stockyardsupply.com/ on the stock tank page.

Sylvia Bernstein said:
I have used 50 gal stock tanks they are over 12 deep can be purchased at most farm supply store, special order at most home improvement stores (ie menards) or on line at Rubbermaid, they run about 50 bucks apiece much less expensive than hydro trays and you get the depth also UV resistant last about 5-10 years in direct sun. Also you can build out of 2x12 with two layers of ½ plywood for the bottom , used bill board tarps for liner, this is the route I have gone to this way you are keeping the tarp out of the land fill and can custom build the size of the bed.

Sylvia Bernstein said:
I started out with the lumber and liner method as I could build the beds to suit the space and go large to reduce plumbing. Well, I've had trouble with termites, they like the wood and don't necessarily stop chewing when they hit liner.

I am not a very strong supporter of Rubber Made lately. I actually like using the 100 gallon tanks as deep grow beds. You can simply place them up on some concrete blocks to put them at a nice working height and that gets them high enough to drain into an in ground tank or sump. Lately the 100 gallon tanks only cost a couple dollars more than the 50 gallon tanks.
You are not a supporter of rubbermaid? I thought you liked them, part of the reason for me looking at them.

TCLynx said:
I started out with the lumber and liner method as I could build the beds to suit the space and go large to reduce plumbing. Well, I've had trouble with termites, they like the wood and don't necessarily stop chewing when they hit liner.

I am not a very strong supporter of Rubber Made lately. I actually like using the 100 gallon tanks as deep grow beds. You can simply place them up on some concrete blocks to put them at a nice working height and that gets them high enough to drain into an in ground tank or sump. Lately the 100 gallon tanks only cost a couple dollars more than the 50 gallon tanks.
Don't the Rubbermaid bins collapse from the weight of the gravel / hydroton and water flooding and draining? Or are these the heavy duty black stock tanks? Richard, what did those cost to ship? And where did you find them?
Oh, I'm talking about the heavy duty stock tanks. Tractor Supply has been the best source I've found for them so far.
WOW I should really pay more attention to my writing today shouldn't I!!!!!

My post earlier should have read that I am a supporter of Rubber Made lately.
Some times I see the rubbermaid stock tanks on craigs list. Usually when I don't have the cash.... :-)
The link I posted earlier was a supply store in Commerce City Sylvia, they have them in stock, so if you have a pickup there is no shipping :)

Oh and thanks TC, glad to know it was just a typo :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service