Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hallo guys.

New to the forum, but I´ve to try an idea. Being a Koi-ponder I would like to convert my greenhouse into an Aquaponic-system. Tired of carrying dirt in and out, virus and  watering-system.

So here is my plan; 3200G pond with Koi as heart, airlifts taking care of the water- transportation, a vortex to separate the heavy stuff,  moving bed bio-filters with Kaldness and air, stainless steel micro screen,  channels with rafts for plants, air-hoses under the rafts to avoid root rot. The filters and most of the beds will be covered with stone and concrete slabs. The whole system will rest during winter, though to the harsh weather. Just cover the pond with Styrofoam and some air underneath.

What do you think? Just darned stupid or???

Questions: If I have to add potassium, iron or magnesia, how do the koi react?

How much will heat influence my system? During summer I´ll have 95F inside the house!

How do you cool a Aquaponic-system beside the normal ways with big windows, doors, agro shade and fans? An extra 6" pipe underneath the greenhouse, which you can open when need cooling?

Just give me some good advice. Usually I´ve sweet pepper, chilli, tomatoes, cucumbers, iceberg, etc. Grapes, peaches, apricots are there all the time as trees.

Elias

Views: 1163

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you are going exclusively with media beds, I wouldn't worry about filtering so much.  Put some red wigglers in the beds and I would think you would be ok.  I would worry about them freezing over the Winter though.

Hallo Arthur. Wigglers, that´s worms? No worms in my house because I´m going to use rafts. Moving Bed filter is a bio filter that uses Kaldness as a bacteria- carrier. Tiny peaces of plastic moving around in airbubbles. They use it in sewer-plants, koi ponds and fisheries all over the world as nitrification.

Elias

How do koi react to nutrients added to your system? It depends on the form of those nutrients. Make sure whatever you're adding is safe for fish.

Borje, you may want to look into a climate battery for your greenhouse. It stores cooler night air underground, which is released during the day to keep temperatures down. It's basically a system of piping a few feet underground, and some ducts with a couple of well placed fans.

Interesting filter media.  If going with float beds, then from my limited knowledge, I'd say you system looks good.  Look forward to some pictures when completed.

Thanks;

How about oxygen in a raft system? Do I need airstones in the raftbeds or have anyone  tried ozon? Some of my Koi friends use that in there systems.

Arthur King, Jr. said:

Interesting filter media.  If going with float beds, then from my limited knowledge, I'd say you system looks good.  Look forward to some pictures when completed.

Airstones are a great thing to have in a raft bed. Research has shown that agitating the water by the plant roots enables plants to pick up nutrients better, allowing for an overall healthier plant.

Borje Eliasson said:

Thanks;

How about oxygen in a raft system? Do I need airstones in the raftbeds or have anyone  tried ozon? Some of my Koi friends use that in there systems.

Arthur King, Jr. said:

Interesting filter media.  If going with float beds, then from my limited knowledge, I'd say you system looks good.  Look forward to some pictures when completed.

Ozon! Any of you guys out there tried that? How do you integrate airstones or airhoses in a deep water bed? I don´t want anything to be in the way when I flush the beds twice a day!!

Alex Veidel said:

Airstones are a great thing to have in a raft bed. Research has shown that agitating the water by the plant roots enables plants to pick up nutrients better, allowing for an overall healthier plant.

Borje Eliasson said:

Thanks;

How about oxygen in a raft system? Do I need airstones in the raftbeds or have anyone  tried ozon? Some of my Koi friends use that in there systems.

Arthur King, Jr. said:

Interesting filter media.  If going with float beds, then from my limited knowledge, I'd say you system looks good.  Look forward to some pictures when completed.

OZONE is a great purifier and pesticide. It can kill any small organisms that contaminate water or air. I use it always to purify water needed for make-up and topping off. I also use it for cleaning fruits and veggies after harvest. BUT it should never be used in our aquaponics raftbeds, fish tanks, sumps or media beds, Because it would destroy the beneficial bacteria along with any pest. Long term heavy exposure to humans CAN damage lung tissue. 

Ozone or O3 is pretty misunderstood. It is what causes the clean fresh smell following rain and lightning and buffers our upper atmosphere against deadly radiation. But it is very deadly if mishandled. All that said, small amounts can safely be used. Having a half life at sea level of around 30 minutes, it is far easier and safer to off gas than chlorine.

Hallo. Slowly forward. Pond almost finished. Channels and filters on there way.  A LED-light in the pond too. Airlift and 2 sedimentchambers on the bottom drain side. A 110mm winter pass by pipe ready and two inlets in the pond so I can change direction of the water. Skimmer in place. Hurry hurry before King Bore knocks on the door



Pictures

Attachments:

Closer and closer. 3 channels 2 filterbays, sedimentchamber, skimmerline and most of the rending in the pond done.

Attachments:

Great looking design

About cooling, this may not work for you but a commercial system in this area circulates water below ground in the water table.  During summer, the water table here is about 30 degrees cooler than surface temperature.  It doesn't cool the entire greenhouse but apparently the cool trough water really helps.  This operator is able to grow lettuce year round here in North Florida, which is unique, so far as I know.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2023   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service