Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I just started cycling my new system 2 days ago ,I will be doing a fishless cycle .I have read that you could add plants from the beginning but they may not make it through the cycle .I was pricing some herbs and other plants to start with and at 3 to 4 bucks a pop here in fl. I was not willing to through the money away yet .

Does anyone have any thoughts on just using the weeds in my yard which never get any fertilizer to help jump start the beds ? I could just pull them ,wash the roots of the dirt and stick them in the bed . 

I can't see where it would hurt anything but was looking for some input .

Trying to keep up front costs down .

thank you

Views: 828

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robert,

No not against it. I use seaweed extract all the time. I've found that it is not a necessity for AP but it can help. We have to be careful to treat AP as a delicate balance of natural water chemistry and not have the approach of the other types of agriculture. Dealing with both fish and plants means we carefully strike as close to a natural balance as possible. Additions without knowing their long term effects can have unforeseen consequences down the line. All said, we learn much more quickly by experimentation.

Robert ,I can't thank you enough for leading me to a great store with so much info. at groworganic.com ,

thanks again

There are a couple others that I cling to...  http://www.johnnyseeds.com/  and MHPGardener on youtube.  He is focused on hydro, but has a ton of good ideas and solutions, including how to minimize your lumber requirements will buildling raft systems, etc.  Then, of course, Nate Story (brightAgrotech) on youtube has a ton of great info, then there's TCLynx's site as well.

What about maxi crop?  I bought a bottle and figure I'd throw it in and  then plant some veggies. Winter is almost here, and I'd like to see something growing in my bed.  What about red worms? when should those be added?

I can't speak to maxi crop, but wigglers can go in with your plants, just don't be too agressive about cleaning off dead root matter or other compostable stuff so they have something to eat while waiting for your fish.  They love choir, coffee grounds paper and other veg scrapts--but I'd be very cautious about introducing such things.  Mine in my ap system seem to be thrilled to cleanup my dead root matter and they break up the fish solids.

Should I wait till get fish then?

Might be best..  Like all things in AP, it just depends.   :-)

Adding a bunch of elodia or hornwart to the system can be a great way to seed your bacteria but they are both aquatic and have to be kept where you would put your fish.

hornwart and elodia? I will look into that, what ever it may be. 

Like he said

Hi Gillian,

Yes you can add the directed amount of extract and introduce all your plants while cycling. If you need further info please create a topic in a new post.

Gillian Burrus said:

What about maxi crop?  I bought a bottle and figure I'd throw it in and  then plant some veggies. Winter is almost here, and I'd like to see something growing in my bed.  What about red worms? when should those be added?

You can find hornwart or elodia at your local pet store its a common aquatic aquarium plant but aquatic plants are the best seed source for new bactria hands down.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service