Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I am just now beginning my aquaponic system, and was recently told that I should not glue my pipes well this is after the fact.  I have not added any fish or plants as I am not at that stage yet. I would be very grateful if someone please address for me how to go about keeping my pipes from leaking if I am not suppose to use pipe glue, also if anyone has used it, what has been your results with your fish and plants? 

Views: 564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure who told you not to glue the pipes, or what kind of glue they might have been referring to...but if you used PVC primer and PVC cement, and let them dry...you really have nothing to worry about.

Thank you so much for responding Vlad, I feel so much better now...Thought I had made the biggest blunder ever...

Sylvia used to tell people to avoid gluing their pipes if possible, because it makes it easier to take apart your piping and clean it out.While it would've been nice to be able to reassemble my plumbing when ever I please, I far prefer not having to clean up a significant pool of water off of my floor every day :D

The glue is safe once it dries; don't worry about it.

Vlad Jovanovic said:

Not sure who told you not to glue the pipes, or what kind of glue they might have been referring to...but if you used PVC primer and PVC cement, and let them dry...you really have nothing to worry about.

Thanks Alex, When I tested the pipes to the grow beds they leaked all over my nicely done floor, at this point I decided to go ahead and glue them, but then was told i should not have done, I still had others to glue and was stuck in a dilemma as to how to keep the pipes from leaking if, I shouldn't use glue...now I feel better. After doing a little research I have discovered "Clear Silicone made by Loctite, water proof sealant Aquarium safe...not sure how this will work but will give it a try in the fish tank...hope it holds up..

Alex Veidel said:

Sylvia used to tell people to avoid gluing their pipes if possible, because it makes it easier to take apart your piping and clean it out.While it would've been nice to be able to reassemble my plumbing when ever I please, I far prefer not having to clean up a significant pool of water off of my floor every day :D

The glue is safe once it dries; don't worry about it.

Vlad Jovanovic said:

Regular PVC cement works fine...and like Alex mentioned, is safe once it dries.

Alex, you can take apart and re-assemble your plumbing by using PVC union joints :)

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/457-015-1-1-2-schedule-40-pvc-unio...

you can find them at most all the hardware and big box stores...

Holy crap....why did I not know about this? Man, these would make my life sooooo much more fun :D Once again, learning things. Thanks!

Vlad Jovanovic said:

Regular PVC cement works fine...and like Alex mentioned, is safe once it dries.

Alex, you can take apart and re-assemble your plumbing by using PVC union joints :)

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/457-015-1-1-2-schedule-40-pvc-unio...

you can find them at most all the hardware and big box stores...

It is also possible to put the unions in retroactively...it's a little trickier(depending) but certainly not "super difficult" or anything :)

Silicone does not work well on PVC. Been there, done that. It can actually make things worse. Most pvc fits so tight that I do leave some joints dry but never on the pump, pressure side. I have used bungee cord, available on Ebay by the roll, as a safety net on my trout tank bio-filters as a precaution on temporary or test pipe situations. Most of my GB piping is unglued and under gravity flow I have never had an issue after 2 1/2 yrs. but my pipe from Lowes fits very tight to where it takes some big grunts to get it apart.

Thank you jim, you are absolutely correct, that silicone does not work worth a crap...I will go ahead and use the regular pipe glue all around. Its going to be a few more weeks before I am completely up and running so by then the glue should be safe..

Jim Fisk said:

Silicone does not work well on PVC. Been there, done that. It can actually make things worse. Most pvc fits so tight that I do leave some joints dry but never on the pump, pressure side. I have used bungee cord, available on Ebay by the roll, as a safety net on my trout tank bio-filters as a precaution on temporary or test pipe situations. Most of my GB piping is unglued and under gravity flow I have never had an issue after 2 1/2 yrs. but my pipe from Lowes fits very tight to where it takes some big grunts to get it apart.

However, threaded unions cost a lot of money, much more than the standard cemented unions. And you still have to buy tees, elbows, and the like, because the threaded unions are only for straight runs of pipe.

Gary

I usually don't worry about leaks in my system. When I install new piping there may be a drip from one or two joints. I observe that the bacteria in the system just seal it up on its own. I use glue or a screw to secure critical joints that are required to be permanently affixed. PVC glue will not harm your fish once it's properly dried in my experience - yust be sure to flush the piping well prior to use.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service