Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have solar lighting in my growbeds. The plants are not in the dark at night & I'm noticing that they were growing great (from seed) all the way up until it was time for the fruit set.

Other than the tomatoes, lettuce & spinach, none of the veggies are producing much of anything.

I'm wondering if the solar lights are enough to confuse the plants into thinking they are still in the vegetative state-

Are certain vegetables affected by the photoperiod - and other types are not?

Would my plants benefit if I removed the solar lights that light up the garden at night?.

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are many things that can affect plants so it is hard to know.  How much light are the solar lights giving off?  And does it seem that the plants right under the lights are the ones most affected?  Or might you just be impatient with some of the plants?  You could move the lights further away from the plants and see if things improve but then again they could just happen to improve due to timing rather than the light being moved away.  I doubt most small solar lights will really have much impact on most plants unless it is just the few plants really getting the light from them and if the lights are in the high color temp range (very blue/white bright light) I suppose they could tend to keep some types of plants more in the vegetative stage.

Thanks TC

TCLynx said:

There are many things that can affect plants so it is hard to know.  How much light are the solar lights giving off?  And does it seem that the plants right under the lights are the ones most affected?  Or might you just be impatient with some of the plants?  You could move the lights further away from the plants and see if things improve but then again they could just happen to improve due to timing rather than the light being moved away.  I doubt most small solar lights will really have much impact on most plants unless it is just the few plants really getting the light from them and if the lights are in the high color temp range (very blue/white bright light) I suppose they could tend to keep some types of plants more in the vegetative stage.

I have been using solar lghts for more than a year now to keep Japanese beetles away from some of my crops and all of my seedlings. Most of the solar lights use magnified LED lights which do not put out enough light for photosynthesis. They do, however, put out enough to make the beetles go to the neighbors house, where there is no light at night. I do not believe the lights cause any disruption in plant growth, even the ones that are very photo sensitive. Why ar eyou using the lights? Are you trying to interupt a photo period?

For poor plant growth look at other things like nitrates, DO or pH.

Thanks Chris-

Chris Smith said:

I have been using solar lghts for more than a year now to keep Japanese beetles away from some of my crops and all of my seedlings. Most of the solar lights use magnified LED lights which do not put out enough light for photosynthesis. They do, however, put out enough to make the beetles go to the neighbors house, where there is no light at night. I do not believe the lights cause any disruption in plant growth, even the ones that are very photo sensitive. Why ar eyou using the lights? Are you trying to interupt a photo period?

For poor plant growth look at other things like nitrates, DO or pH.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service