Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

After many hours of research I have decied that pangasius Hypophthalmus the irredescent shark is probably the fish I ate and prefer to tilapia.  It wholesales for half of the price of tilapia  but for my own use, it is cost( feed verses yield) a good deal.  Less  bones whiter fish denser stocking , just need a big tank  I will see.  Ihave raised them before and they grow to over a kilo in a year!   I will order a giant  batch of fingerlings if any one wants some

John

Views: 3001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have had it. very easy to cook (filets) was called "basa" at publics. mmmmmm me interested

This is a wonderfish if you can grow it yourself. The basa they sell at the local Florida grocery stores are probably not something you want to eat.

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-...

I love the fish but I want to grow them myself. In my research I think I decided not to use this fish in my system as they do not easily propagate and require hormones to "resex" the fish.

Is this contrary to your research? Where did you find the fingerlings?

Pangasius bocourti is actually what they call Basa but I think it's nearly the same fish.

your correct.  The  p. hypophthalmus, is smaller than the bocouti, and not as meaty,, aparently it is mislead  and not what publix sells, most asain cats are P. Hypophthalmus  there are several in the family most live in vietnam rivers some are several hundred pounds.  I bought mine from the pet shop industry.  I have accounts with whole salers, here in FL  there is a price break at 100 fish.

Breeding is easier with the hormones  which are no secret and I think I have the skills to get them to reproduce if I can get them large enough in some kind of race way,,, perhaps a pond stream made with a liner and heated. 

Had a look at that link Scott, and yea, That article sounds like lots of great reasons to grow that fish at home, for yourself in a nice clean Aquaponics system!

Does anyone here have any experience raising Pangasius bocourti / Basa? It really is one of my favorite fish to eat I am just a little worried about breeding them easily.

Some of the papers I have read on the topic seem promising.

http://caribefish.com/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=...

all pangasius are about the same to raise  none will spawn out side of a muddy river, probably spawn comunally.  so they have to be hormoned and manipulated inorder to reproduce commercially  Bocourti are the whitest meat  i have read   most pangasius are sold as bocourti but mis labeled  and are actually p. hypothalamus

John Jay said:
all pangasius are about the same to raise  none will spawn out side of a muddy river, probably spawn communally.  so they have to be hormoned and manipulated in order to reproduce commercially  Bocourti are the whitest meat  I have read   most pangasius are sold as bocourti but mis labeled  and are actually p. hypothalamus is actually sold as swai
I've been looking for fingerlings as well. Have you ordered any yet?

Hi John

Did you ever manage to raise a few of these guys?

I'd be really keen to buy some fingerlings if you have any.

Cheers

D.

I can get them for 2 a piece  if you get 25  plus shipping  if yo order 100 I can do better on the price shipping probably the same

How much cold can these fish take? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service