Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I completed the solar portion of my system yesterday and as of this posting the system was under the suns power.

We are waiting to see if this will carry the charge overnight. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Views: 885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The IBC plastic will get brittle with too much time out under the sun with it's UV rays.  So most people recommend protecting the plastic from excess sun.  And by protecting the plastic from the sun you are also reducing algae growth.

Ahh ok ...  got it, thanks TC. I did not know the tote would get brittle over time from the sun.

What do you suggest wrapping the tote in?

Do I have to do that right away or can it wait a while, until I get my system up and running with fish in it?

TCLynx said:

The IBC plastic will get brittle with too much time out under the sun with it's UV rays.  So most people recommend protecting the plastic from excess sun.  And by protecting the plastic from the sun you are also reducing algae growth.

You can probably wait till you get it up and running but some shade cloth or tarp wrapped around the whole thing could save you from your up coming algae bloom (almost all new systems will experience some sort of algae bloom as they start cycling and blocking the light from the water will help.)

Very good thread here, I am new to forum/page and have wondered about Solar AP systems.. I am looking at the very same products (Harbor Freight) that Bob V mentioned.. I like the IBC tote pics on your Facebook pic page! I am undecided on Deep Water trough vs. Hyroton media for grow beds. Anyhow, please keep my name in your sites, as I have TONS of new bee questions coming your way!

I started a new thread today with my Solar Update under Basic and Useful Info.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service