Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hey everyone,

I was recently wondering how aquaponics stacked up to other organic nutrients that are commonly used in hydroponics. So I decided, why not run a few tests and see for myself. This is more for my own curiosity, but I hope you all enjoy and feel free to get involved. I will be open to any suggestions or recommendations. All ideas, love, and hate are welcome! Enjoy!

The Contestants:

#1) Regular tap water (control)

#2) Aquaponic water (I have 30 tilapia in 275 gallons supporting this challenger)

#3) Aquaponic water w/ Organicare Seaplex foliar spray (same fish source)

#4) General Organics BioThrive Grow/Bloom

#5) Roots Organic Buddha Grow/Bloom

#6) Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Super Tea Grow/Bloom

The Plant:

Habenero Pepper from seed through full maturity (100 days expected)... I wished to take clones from the same plant, but couldn't locate a good donor so seeds have to do.

The Setup:

6 DWC 5-gallon buckets. (water changes weekly or a consistent time between 7-10 days)

Vegetative state- 600 watt MH in 6inch reflector

Flower state- 1000 watt HPS in 6inch reflector

Indoor grow

The Winner:

You Decided! I'll give updates both in pictures and videos and let you judge for yourself. 

Want anything else, just ask!

We are waiting for the seeds to sprout and action should start within the next 2 weeks

**Non-fruiting ONC coming soon**

Views: 2579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all.  I'm a Johnny-come-lately to this whole conversation, and I admit that I haven't read the whole thing, but just in case no one has mentioned this I thought I should pipe up about the study done by Dr. Nick Savidov at the Crop Diversification center comparing aquaponics to hydroponics - http://www.aquaponicsjournal.com/docs/articles/Greenhouse-Aquaponic....  If you haven't read it you will find it very interesting within the context of this discussion.  Bottom line - AP kicked butt...but ONLY after 6 months when the bacteria had a chance to form a mature colony.  

Cheers!

That's great info, Sylvia. Thank you!
You are most welcome 

How are things going with this? 

So far everything is going well. I just ran my 3rd cycle of nutes and the roots organic and AN mother nature, both got a little burned, but not bad. It was the website recommended ppm, so I don't really know what's to blame there. The maxxicrop is actually the tallest, but the aquaponics and aquaponics+ seaplex are the bushiest. I don't know if it is the type of habenero I got, or what, but none of these are putting on growth like I had expected. 

I'll try and upload pics this weekend.

Here is an update, November 11th, 2011:

Roots Organic:

Aquaponic:

Maxicrop:

Tap Water:

Aquaponics + Seaplex:

General Organics:

Advanced Nutrients:

Please note that Roots Organic and Advanced Nutrients received slight burning from recommended ppm dosing. 

Looks like aquaponics wins (I'm not really surprised...)

Dave

Phoenix, AZ

LogicalHydro said:

Here is an update, November 11th, 2011:

Roots Organic:

Aquaponic:

Maxicrop:

Tap Water:

Aquaponics + Seaplex:

General Organics:

Advanced Nutrients:

Please note that Roots Organic and Advanced Nutrients received slight burning from recommended ppm dosing. 

Great stuff, Logical!  Would you post your video in our Video section so it will remain here forever-more?  Thanks http://aquaponicscommunity.com/video/video/addEmbed

I noticed that your video is yellowish?  Does this mean you are using metal halide lamps?

Dave

Phoenix, AZ

Sylvia,

Of course I will!

Dave,

It's actually HPS (High Pressure Sodium). All of the previous pictures are metal halide. MH gives a very white light and if you glance at the bulb it almost appears a little blueish

My bad - I meant HPS and typed Metal Halide... Dah...

Guess my age is starting to show...

Dave

Phoenix, AZ

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service