Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hey everybody. I wanted to start a thread about Aquaponics in Oakland, CA specifically.

If there are folks that are willing to trade fish, or seeds, or used equipment that would be great.

Anyone interested in rotating aquaponics work parties

I'd also love to map out a tour of sorts-- if there are more than a couple of us with systems it would be amazing to meet up and visit each other's systems, either all on one weekend day or over the course of a few months we could meet up at one place every two weeks or so. 

I realize this may be harder to do with less people and more distance between folks, but we were doing this in Honolulu and it was great!

Views: 696

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, I just finished cycling a 50 gallon indoor system in Berkeley. I am also on the search right now for good fish to grow in the system, and would be happy to trade or buy from anyone in the area.

I am specifically very interested in bonsai grafted fruit trees, and would love to see any fruit people have grown.

I have a few large channel catfish (8-12 inches) that I could part with, and some Hybrid Carp (6-8").    

The cats would be $15, the carp $9.

Michael, I've got some assorted koi and goldfish you can have for free or cheap (4-8", $0-5).

Jon, it would be great to meet you! I'm close with Nate and working with Planting Justice on AP in the east bay.

Sure thing, Michael!    I'm working with Nates towers, which right now are the bane of my existence, possibly the worst business decision i've ever made, and are threatening to put me out of business entirely. :)   anyone who could solve their fundamental and profound issues would be my new deity.    

The catfish sound great. Have you ever tried breeding them? Where are you located?

Jonathan Trease said:

I have a few large channel catfish (8-12 inches) that I could part with, and some Hybrid Carp (6-8").    

The cats would be $15, the carp $9.

I'm in Half Moon Bay.  They're getting to a nice adult size.   I haven't tried breeding them - its a great fish, super tough, and cheap to feed.   

my email: dunmorfarm@gmail.com

Sadly, that is a little too far for me to go. I'm a student with no car, and transporting the fish on a long bart/cal train ride sounds a bit hellish.

Jonathan Trease said:

I'm in Half Moon Bay.  They're getting to a nice adult size.   I haven't tried breeding them - its a great fish, super tough, and cheap to feed.   

my email: dunmorfarm@gmail.com

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those towers in concept, but I've never used one and so have little to say on the matter. I think you are referring to Nate S. of Zip Grow, and Averan is referring to Nate K. of Urban Adamah in Berkeley? (Averan, tell Nate I said Hi)

I can solve your tower issues, but you may not like it. I'm teaching AP 1 and 2 classes at Ouroboros tomorrow and Sunday, 8:30 AM start time both days. No charge, and I'm sure we can teach each other a few things. 

Jonathan Trease said:

Sure thing, Michael!    I'm working with Nates towers, which right now are the bane of my existence, possibly the worst business decision i've ever made, and are threatening to put me out of business entirely. :)   anyone who could solve their fundamental and profound issues would be my new deity.    

yup. will do. ;)

Just noticed this was here - I've been running a 250g setup in the SF East Bay (San Ramon) for almost two years ago.  I was also at the AquaponicsFest in Colorado where I presented on water testing. 

Don Crain  Crain Fisheries

I have catfish, koi and silver carp fingerlings and food fish.  I am in Old Oakland Farmers market the 1st and 3rd Friday.  I have earthen ponds and aquaponic system with 4 - 800 gal. tanks and 4 raft greenhouse.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service