Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Finally an inexpensive, reliable, low maintenance method of heating our greenhouses and fish tanks.  Bio-mass is one of the least expensive fuels available. Readily available pellets can be bought by the ton, or you can make your own fuel.

We have become Wiseway Pellet Stoves first distributor for this unique pellet stove.  I have been working with them for some time now, and they have added a stainless steel water heating coil to their stove for heating the water in our AP fish tanks.  I will have pricing soon, as well as more details on how it works. BTUs, etc.  They will be delivering the first stove in a couple of weeks, and we will be doing some demos around Washington for those interested.

No electricity! Portable! Cost effective! It will burn up to 36 hours on a bag of pellets! No more worries about heat loss during a power outage.  Water (safest in case of a leak) or some other suitable liquid will be circulated through the heating element and the heat radiates from a hose either in the tank or wrapped around the tank to warm the water.

This stove can also be used to heat a shop, cabin, tent, etc. and with the water heating capacity... your pool, hot tub.... Very exciting possibilities!

We are also looking at making it multi-fuel capable.  Propane, Mathane, Natural Gas, as well as Biomass and wood pellets.

Views: 3981

Replies to This Discussion

This could be very exciting!  I was planning on raising bluegill or trout so that I wouldn't have to worry about water temp since they are native fish so I figured they could do ok in our climate without heat.  But tonight I have been reading some stuff about how the bacteria needs a certain temperature and so now I am rethinking.  I will hopefully be working on rooftops of several public buildings.  Would this stove be a safe thing to use there or should I be concerned about firedanger?  How important is heat really?  I would like to go year round and raise winter vegetables in the winter.  

Pam Allen

CityBounty.org

Portland OR

The importance of heat depends on what you want to grow and the type of fish you have.  You have a wider variety of options when you have a warmer environment.  Most fish eat better, grow, and are more productive when it is warmer.  Our climate really limits your growing season without heat. warmer regions can just shift what they grow and will still be able to produce.

I already have strawberries set on my plants in the greenhouse, beans are blooming, tomatoes a foot tall, peppers, horseradish, broccoli, watermelons, cantaloupe, and on and on, are all growing and thriving because my greenhouse is at least 60 degrees every night.

very interesting.  How consistent will the heat be in terms of heating a fish tank?  Would there be some kind of regulator to stop it from overheating?  Like to get more information.

What is your light source?

Rick Stillwagon said:

The importance of heat depends on what you want to grow and the type of fish you have.  You have a wider variety of options when you have a warmer environment.  Most fish eat better, grow, and are more productive when it is warmer.  Our climate really limits your growing season without heat. warmer regions can just shift what they grow and will still be able to produce.

I already have strawberries set on my plants in the greenhouse, beans are blooming, tomatoes a foot tall, peppers, horseradish, broccoli, watermelons, cantaloupe, and on and on, are all growing and thriving because my greenhouse is at least 60 degrees every night.

Consistency of the temp can be regulated by a fluid thermostat.  Once I have this one installed and the details worked out they will be available.  My stove that I use now is a very simple system. I just adjust the burn rate of the stove to adjust the water temp. and adjust the exhaust fan that moves the air into the greenhouse to keep temps where I want them. This will be an awesome alternative to the conventional methods available now.  The nice thing about water is that it moves temperature very slowly.  So this can be as simple or complicated as you like.

I currently rely on the sun... lol  I want to see how little I can get by with in terms of energy usage.

Kudo's!!!!  Forwarded to La.

This is very interesting,

If the pricing is good you will be blowing the doors off...

I was building a rocket mass heater in mine... and now we have summer heat... 

So now I can wait till the jury decides...

Thanks for all your hard work Rick,

Will be out soon, and will bring some fishes...

The price for these stoves is about half of that for a traditional pellet stove.  So I am sure for those that make the up front investment, they will save an incredible amount of money on overhead costs.  One gentleman that bought two for his two greenhouses in Medford OR says he is saving 2/3 the amount he was spending on heating the greenhouse alone.  This is without the water heating capability.

Have you disclosed a price yet or where we can get one?

I will have pricing for the water heating model in the next week or so.  The standard model as pictured I can order for $1,099.00.  They retail from the manufacturer at a little over $1,300.00, all prices are plus shipping. Shipping shouldnt be too much for you since it is coming from Medford OR.  You could also drive down and pick it up yourself if you wanted to save the shipping cost.

Really looking forward to seeing the final price on these.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service