Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I was using fish in an ibt tote for cycling. I started this in April of 2013.  I got tired of changing out the water so I through the fish back in the pond I got them from. I cycled with ammonia and It was so much easier. Once again I should read before I do. Well my readings are constant at 7ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates. I read, the more nitrates the better for the plants as long as they are below 150ppm. I have about 50 minnows in 75 gallons of water. I had about 150 gallons but dumped half of the water because of the Iron issue.  The water temp is about 80 degrees. I had about 12 different plants in the bed. The leaves started turning brown and yellow so I added chelated iron. That was before I was cycled. Well all but the cucumber and pickling cucumbers are alive, they are starting to brown and yellow at the bottom.  The iron killed everything else.  Not a big deal I will buy new plants and put them in. My major question is how do I get my nitrates up to a higher level? Add more minnows? Just wait? My bed is only 8 inches deep. Is that a major issue?

Thanks

George

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is generally recommended that your media volume should = your water volume.  Otherwise, your media depth may not matter.  Iron should not have harmed the plants - there are videos and discussions on that subject.  Won't the minnows take care of increasing their own numbers?  Your system is new still, very new for the plants you are attempting.  

Thanks!

George said:

It is generally recommended that your media volume should = your water volume.  Otherwise, your media depth may not matter.  Iron should not have harmed the plants - there are videos and discussions on that subject.  Won't the minnows take care of increasing their own numbers?  Your system is new still, very new for the plants you are attempting.  

Well, I think that would depend on how much iron he put into his system. How much did you put in Other George? (also known as George David)

George said:

Way to much Alex.

Alex Veidel said:

Well, I think that would depend on how much iron he put into his system. How much did you put in Other George? (also known as George David)

George said:

This much?

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/profiles/blogs/chelated-iro...

George David said:

Way to much Alex.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service