Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I'm considering a outside and backyard scale Aquaponic system and I live in Kansas City, Missouri.

My question is will I have time to grow out tilipia, say up to 1 or 11/2 pounds during the growing season (May to August/Sept)???  I want to freeze filets for winter cosumption along with all the vegies.

Thanks for your input!

Guy

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are upsides and downsides to raising either yellow perch or tilapia.  Upside for tilapia is that they are nearly impossible to kill.  Downside is that if you want to grow them quickly, you need to keep the water at a constant temp of 80 degrees.  Upside to yellow perch is that ideal water temp for them is 68 - 72 degrees.  Downside is that you have to monitor water quality closely otherwise they will not eat and also possibly die. That being said, I guess it depends what your expectations are.  Good luck and I wish you the best!

David Soh said:

I am in central Iowa and I am thinking of digging an in ground pool with pondliner measuring 2ft deep X3ftX16ft under my GB. This will be all in a 16X10 ft greenhouse. That may help to insulate my pool in the cooler months supplemented by minimal heating to prolong the growing season of the fish.  But on the flip side, it will also  take longer to heat up in the spring. I am thinking of raising Yellow Perch instead of Tilapia. I also have a chiller that I bought at a university surplus to chill the water if I have to, in the heat of Summer for perch. Any opinion will be much appreciated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service