Hello everybody :) I recently started my obsession with Aquaponics back in April when I purchased Sylvia's book. I constructed my system and have been on here reading the forums since then. I'm very thankful to have found this forum, you guys all have a ton of very helpful information :) I figured it was about time to say hi, so hi!
I set up my system using a 100 gallon stock tank as the FT, constructed my growbed using plywood, 2x4s, and a pond liner which measures a 2.5'x6'x1' GB which is slightly more than 100 gallons all filled with hydrocorn. The system is set up as flood and drain with a bell siphon. I initially planted a bunch of lettuce, strawberries, Walla Walla sweet onions, a tomato plant, and some mint. I cycled it using the Murray Hallam method of liquid seaweed for a couple weeks, then adding fish. I've got about 25 feeder goldfish swimming happily around in there after losing an initial few. As well as 3 little koi. The mint and lettuce has been doing great, but everything else has been really struggling! I can't seem to get the pH to budge from 8, and I have yet to see any signs at all of nitrates. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going wrong, I feel like I've done everything correctly. I've just been very very patient these past few months haha
4/27: Ammonia=2ppm Nitrites=5ppm Nitrates=0ppm pH=8.2
Does anybody have any insight into why my nitrates are struggling to appear?
Vlad is really the guy to talk to about this. I had a problem with this a while back and the reason I wasn't getting any nitrates was a lack of kH.
You can read that thread here: http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/what-s-this-wh...
Looking at your stats for ammonia, I might consider getting that up a bit. Sylvia recommended 2-4ppm to attract the bacteria
get an aerator in your fishtank..
Thank you guys for the advice!! I did some things on Friday 7/26 and I'm not 100% sure what did what (bad, uncontrolled science I know :P) but I added an airstone to the tank, and also ripped out a massive mint plant that I had a feeling was sucking up a lot of nutrients, or at least inhibiting my ability to see some nitrates! Got myself a kH kit and took some readings.
7/26: Ammonia=.25ppm Nitrites=0ppm Nitrates=0ppm pH=8 kH=125.3ppm
7/29: Ammonia=0ppm Nitrites=0ppm Nitrates=5ppm kH=107.4ppm
BOOM! Not entirely sure what has happened, but I'm actually seeing nitrates today!!! I can't even begin to describe how excited I am, I have been very patient over the past few months!!