Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Does anyone know where to buy grow media in bulk, cheap in Panama City?  We need approximately 25 cubic feet.

Views: 1473

Replies to This Discussion

You need to add some ammonia source to start getting the bacteria to cycle up.

Here are links to some blog posts about cycling up a new system

Cycling with fish

or

Fishless Cycling

I personally like to do fishless cycling because I don't like the stress of worrying about killing fish during the cycling process.  You may start plants anytime but it could be a few weeks before you are getting much nitrate to feed them so I would recommend starting with seeds or less nutrient demanding plants at first.  Once you start seeing a little bit of nitrates you could put in the more demanding plants but remember that during fishless cycling you are probably not feeding a balanced nutrient source but just one that provides the ammonia for the bacteria so it takes a while for the aquaponics system to mature enough to provide more balanced nutrients.  This is why seaweed extract is often added to new systems to provide the nutrients that plain ammonia won't provide.

I like your setup! What fish are you going to use. I think we are going to go with Channel catfish. There is a hatchery in Bonifay called Pauls Fish Farm (http://www.paulfishfarms.com/index.html). I think we will get them from him. Do you know of any other hatchery that is closer? Just curious. It's neat to have someone nearby doing the same thing.

We are going to use channel cat as well.  We found a place in Bristol, about 30 miles closer.  It's called Jerkins (850-643-4096).  We called them as well as Pauls fish farm.  They both want to sell 100 fish, way too many but....what can ya do?  Some will die I imagine.  Thanks for the compliment on the set-up.  It is great you being so close, we can compare notes as you have same weather conditions, etc, especially since you are just starting yours as well.  How far along are you?

Tanya Bailey said:

I like your setup! What fish are you going to use. I think we are going to go with Channel catfish. There is a hatchery in Bonifay called Pauls Fish Farm (http://www.paulfishfarms.com/index.html). I think we will get them from him. Do you know of any other hatchery that is closer? Just curious. It's neat to have someone nearby doing the same thing.

You are so very helpful!  I will check those out.  Thanks so very very much.

TCLynx said:

Cycling with fish

or

Fishless Cycling

I personally like to do fishless cycling because I don't like the stress of worrying about killing fish during the cycling process.  You may start plants anytime but it could be a few weeks before you are getting much nitrate to feed them so I would recommend starting with seeds or less nutrient demanding plants at first.  Once you start seeing a little bit of nitrates you could put in the more demanding plants but remember that during fishless cycling you are probably not feeding a balanced nutrient source but just one that provides the ammonia for the bacteria so it takes a while for the aquaponics system to mature enough to provide more balanced nutrients.  This is why seaweed extract is often added to new systems to provide the nutrients that plain ammonia won't provide.

Thanks for the info on Jerkins. I'll look into them! We are about halfway cycled so we will probably be getting some fish in the next two weeks. Since it has started warming up some, it seems to be going faster.

Peggy Worthington said:

We are going to use channel cat as well.  We found a place in Bristol, about 30 miles closer.  It's called Jerkins (850-643-4096).  We called them as well as Pauls fish farm.  They both want to sell 100 fish, way too many but....what can ya do?  Some will die I imagine.  Thanks for the compliment on the set-up.  It is great you being so close, we can compare notes as you have same weather conditions, etc, especially since you are just starting yours as well.  How far along are you?

Tanya Bailey said:

If they have a 100 fish minimum order, you can probably still get less fish, but just pay the price for the minimum order (essentially paying more per fish.)

I caution people NOT to put in way too many fish assuming some will Die and make it ok since more often ALL will die and then you have to go buy more fish and then you didn't save any money and it's not really ok.  Grossly overstocking a new system is generally a recipe for disaster.  Having one or a few fish die from transport related stress is common.  Having 30-50% of your fish die is not usually a good thing and often when die off is that bad, there is fear and danger that you will loose them ALL.

questions about water tests:  4/2/13 readings were PH 7.6 Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0; on 4/7/13 the readings were 7.6, 2, .50, 0 same order on 4/9/13 readings were 7.6, 6, 2, 0 on 4/10/13 readings were 7.8, 4, 2, 10 on 4/11/13 readings were 7.6, .5, 2, .5  tody they were 7.4, .25, 5, 10

added vinegar day 1 to bring ph down, added api ph down on 4/9 and 4/10 it rained last night so added rain water before testing;  added ammonia (urine that was sitting out for a month) on 4/7 and 4/9

we have plants in gb and they appear to be thriving, have been in since day 2

Question: how to bring ph down it is well water!  I read somewhere about it.

Question:  when can i add fish, I don't think i can until ph is down

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Hope this is not too confusing without using a chart to show numbers....I appreciate your responses, they have been very helpful.

We also added another grow bed 2 days ago....figured better do it now before we screw up the system when fish are in it.

TCLynx said:

Cycling with fish

or

Fishless Cycling

It is my understanding that the PH will go down on it's own once the system is cycled. We have noticed that in our system. The Ph was staying around 7.8 until it finally cycled all the way and now it has dropped to mid-6-ish. Once nitrites and Ammonia have reached 0 or .25, fish can be added - I think that is the rule. We are ready to get some. Can't get through to either of the fish farms we talked about. Do you know if they work on Saturday's? Hope so... Anyhow, sounds like you are almost there.

Thanks Tonya, yay........  I know we had to leave a message at both places and it took them a day to respond.  They both said we had to order them first, which will take a day or so.  This was my understanding.  Do not know if open on Saturday or not but if you find out let me know.  When did you start your cycling?  How many fish are you getting or needing?  We will probably have to pay for the 100 but only take 50 as a previous person suggested.

We started cycling about a week before you did, I think. We only need about 30 fish but will probably go ahead and take the 100 and try to sell the rest, or give the extra to our neighbor across the street who has a fish pond (if he'll take them). I was kinda thinking that if you want to we can sell you however many you needed for whatever they charge us for each. Hopefully we can get through to them very soon. Let me know if you would like to. It will save you a trip!

Just got a call back from Jerkins. Picking up 100 catfish tomorrow at 11 for $35. Yay

Peggy, sorry to send another message but I put an add on Craigslist for the extra catfish at 50 cent each and had two people respond already. They are coming between 3 & 4 tomorrow so let me know if you want me to hold some for you. I'll still give them to you at 35 cent each. Hopefully you'll get these messages before then. Thanks!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service