Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

So my friend donated his standalone swimming pool to me because he knew I would be nuts enough to try and grow fish in it and he thinks it's hilarious. Dimensions are 15x30x4....... almost 5,000 gallons.  I am into incorporating this pool into a commercial aquaponics system if I am able to pull together the resources.The obvious needs are land, growbeds, materials, man power, money, and much more. I have access too some of these. The most important part of this project is to sustainably produce food for Colorado. It would be nice to build a money making system but that is something to work towards over time. Is there anyone in Colorado that is interested in teaming up or throwing ideas back and forth?

Views: 583

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Shawn
I've been meaning to contact you. It's great to hear all you've been doing including your work at the aquarium. That's great experience. Were looking at some greenhouse space tomorrow and hoping this is a place we can get into in short order. If so, maybe there would be an opportunity to setup the tank there. There's a lot to figure out still but let's chat soon because I'd like to hear more about what you're doing.
JD
Sounds good. I will give you a call. If we can't fit the tank in there I'm sure there is still plenty of stuff for me to build.

JD Sawyer said:
Hey Shawn
I've been meaning to contact you. It's great to hear all you've been doing including your work at the aquarium. That's great experience. Were looking at some greenhouse space tomorrow and hoping this is a place we can get into in short order. If so, maybe there would be an opportunity to setup the tank there. There's a lot to figure out still but let's chat soon because I'd like to hear more about what you're doing.
JD
I found a place for my tank!! The Urban Farm in Denver is a nonprofit farm designed to educate inner city youth. I have been working with the farm manager Rick building backyard systems for two years. We have set aside a piece of land suitable for three hoop houses. So far we have the land, electric, water, 10,000 gal tank, one large bio filter (donated by the Denver Aquarium), and a large supply of miscellaneous material. We also have a very strong team with backgrounds ranging from master horticulturists, aquarium life support techs, and fishery management students to food sourcing activists, families, and other nonprofits. My plan is to design and build a commercial system using community resources. Now it is time to come up with a detailed design and parts list so that we can find the money. Any input or ideas from the community is very appreciated.
Shawn I would recommend you contact Friendlys or their affiliate Green acre organics and buy their commercial plans. They are tested. The construction costs are alot less than kit systems.

Hi Shawn,

You buy an oversize tank so now the Universe has to send you a farm for it? Congratulations. Well you need to design around your vision, the sky is the only limit. NFT. DWC, Media AP, select one or combine all or some, draw it on paper and share it, these guys will make sure and fine tune the hell out of it here! Good luck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service