Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

After fishless cycling for almost 3 weeks we finally have Nitrites but very little Nitrates. Can we introduce our fish yet? My grow beds have been planted with seeds and are doing great and we have active plant growth. My water is pH 7.4, ammonia 2 ,nitrite .50 Nitrate .5. Temp 78

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are in good shape... There are different types of bacteria that are creating the nitrite and nitrates, so it is almost like 2 cycles. With the ammonia you are feeding Nitrosomonas which convert the Ammonia to Nitrites. Now that you have Nitrites in your system Nitrobacter can start feeding and colonizing... this too will take a few days. You are growing millions of bacteria which do not have the fastest doubling time so just be patient. Having high nitrites and high ammonia is not a pleasant environment for a fish so just wait until the bacteria make it safe.

Thanks. We have really noticed a difference in the smell of our greenhouse in the past 24 hours. Smells like a toilet that has been unflushed for a day! Not to worry my plants grow hourly and are so happy :D

Wow, beautiful system!

Verna Gross said:

I have resolved to myself that even though we have been cycling fishless for 4 weeks now we officially started on Sunday when we finally got the FT temp above 50. MY plants are all doing really well and I haven't had any show signs of stress. My transplants are growing and my seed starts are popping up daily. I need to be patient
Thanks. It is amazing how everything is sprouting and growing. Especially considering it is mid winter in Colorado and I have a garden growing :) :)
pH is moving down 7.2 today. But ammonia is still 4, nitrite is 5 and nitrates are 5. What happens if I do a partial water change out or do I just keep waiting patiently? My seeds are sprouting daily and my rooted plants are growing beautifully.

It will all happen quickly... the fact that your PH is moving down shows that the bacterial colony is growing. The growth is exponential so probably within a week your ammonia will be at zero. You should prepare to raise the PH once it starts to drop below 7. Make sure you have your buffers ready to use to avoid a crash (PH below 6.0). This is weeks away but be sure that you will need to take action. Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide are the ones most commonly used. Alternating between Calcium and Potassium will help you plants get those nutrients.

Thanks. For the response. I have been working way too hard to have everything go south in a hurry!

After testing for Nitrates a red ring forms on the top of the Nitrate test tube--my Nitrates are still at just 5 pH 7.4, Ammonia 4 Nitrites 5

The water is for sure changing. pH 6.8. Ammonia down to 2 nitrites still at 5 nitrates 5. Should I dose with ammonia haven't this week at all.
Ammonia levels are down to .25 but Nitrites are still 5. Nitrates are 20+ ppm should I keep low dosing with ammonia until the nitrites go down?

Dose ammonia to 2 again, the nitrite bacteria will catch up soon. When your ammonia goes down to .25  or lower in 24 - 36 hours and your nitrites are below 1 you are ready for fish. When you get the fish you can regulate ammonia and nitrites through feeding, so if they ever get high you just stop feeding. Fish can go weeks without food.

Thank you Jonathan. I also picked up some pH buffers but haven't a clue how much Potassium hydroxide to put in 250 gal to raise my pH from 6.4. Nothing comes with decent instructions

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service