Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hello, Everyone!

I may have met you recently at the Conference, but for the rest of you: a big hello!  I am posting to ask all of you lovely aquapons to post your favorite recipes for tilapia, carp, catfish (or any other sustainable, omnivorous fish with a high feed conversion ratio).  This could involve frying, smoking, grilling, marinating--I welcome all creativity!

I ask not only because I'd love to try them out ;), but because I'm trying to turn around the images of these fish as "bottom feeders", "tasteless", or the many other criticisms that generally place these fish at the bottom of the culinary aquatic rung (far behind the at-risk darlings of the market like salmon and tuna)--and create a larger, more valued market for sustainable fish.  To this end, I am working on a cookbook that explains sustainable "good" fish, how to know where they come from, and offers great recipes--including some endorsed by celebrity chefs.  I have meetings set up with a couple celebrity chefs already and I want to give them an idea of what types of recipes are out there for these fish.  Also, if you have a contact for a "celebrity chef", that would be helpful as well!

I hope this book can help promote healthy and responsible eating--and create a larger market for aquaponic products.  I appreciate all of your help!

Peace, Vegetables, and Fish ;)

Amanda

Views: 257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I know for Tilapia and Channel Catfish, they are warm water fish that if kept in clean water (like an aquaponics system) they are very mild fish that can be used in all sorts of cooking and can take on the flavors of whatever you cook them with.

The whole idea of "muddy" tasting bottom feeders really doesn't apply to an aquaponics system since there is no "mud" and they are generally fed floating feed so certainly are not bottom feeding anyway.

So recipes, I think there are already some recipe threads and if not here elsewhere so perhaps I can find some links.  I'm not the cook, my other half is but I can rarely get him to give a specific recipe since he does much kinda free form but it works well for him.

Here is a link to a section of the BYAP forum you can search for recipes.  I know I have posted some stuff in there somewhere in the past (smoked catfish dip, smoked catfish cakes etc.)

I also like the catfish cooked up like little fried catfish nuggets that can then be used in Asian cooking in place of things like the pork or chicken in sweet and sour or any of the other fried meats in meals.  Very tasty.

Oh and smoked catfish can be mixed up much like tuna salad and used on sandwiches though we usually freeze the catfish since I've never found guidelines for home canning of catfish so you have to plan ahead a little to take the smoked fish out of the freezer in time to thaw to make the sandwich or dip from it or have it fresh.

Thanks, TC!!

Anyone else have recipes/link to recipes to add?  Thanks in advance!

This is a quick and easy fish topping I whip together when I am running short on time or don't feel like standing at the stove for an hour. I use this topping on 6 Tilapia fillets or 1.5 - 2 pounds fillets of flaky white fish (flounder, soul, swai, etc) and it covers the fish perfectly. Low fat and low calorie its not, but flavorful and kid pleasing it is! I usually serve this with Jasmine rice and a salad. Measurements are best estimate. I always eyeball it. For instance use 1 1/2 green onions (white and green parts) and a pile of cheese that scoops easily in my fingers.

Fish Topping:
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 tbls mayonnaise
3 tbls green onions, chopped
2 tbls lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a bowl and add rest of ingredients. Mix and spread evenly over the fish fillets. Bake in 375 deg oven for 10 min then broil for 5 min. Enjoy!
I just sprinkle the fresh tilapia fillets with a bit of flour, salt and pepper and quickly saute them in butter and olive oil (about a minute per side).  I find the simplicity of this really lets the freshness of the fish sing!
yep blue gill cleaned split in half and dredged in flower, salt and pepper then quickly pan fried is how my mom always did it.  Usually didn't bother with filleting blue gill since they are generally small  and it's easier to pull out the bones once they are cooked.
Hey Amanda, here's a real good, super easy recipe.
Take 4 to 6 tilapia fillets, season them with lemon pepper, roll them up and use a toothpick to keep them rolled. Put them in a Corning (or similar) dish with a lid. You can cover with plastic wrap...I'm reluctant to do that. Drizzle the fillets with lemon juice. Cover and microwave them for 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful to not overcook. A lot of difference in microwaves. Hope you like! BTW, I've got two systems built and cycling!
Steve

Thanks for all the ideas, guys.  I'm taking notes!  If you have anymore, keep them coming!

Congrats on those systems, Steve!  Can you send me pictures of your harvests?

Amanda

Hi Amanda, here is a recipe for a stuffed-fish dish i made for my wife the 1st time i cooked for her (so i guess its good, she married me)  All amounts are approximate.

1/2 small white onion, diced

1/2 celery stalk, diced

1 cup toasted bread crumbs, wheat

1/3 cup butter

5 or 6 talapia fillets (or any white meat flaky fish)

salt and pepper to season

saute the onion and celery in a table spoon of butter until tender.  Let cool slightly and add bread crumbs and more melted butter until mixture is moist.  Coat bottom of baking pan with melted butter.  Using your fingers, place a enough bread filling on a filet (skin side) and roll it up.  Secure with toothpicks.  Fill all fillets and place in pan, brush with remaining butter. Add any left over filling on top of fish.  Bake at 350 in oven until fish is white and flakes when pierced with a fork.  Excellent served over a bed of wild rice.

Enjoy

If your still looking for restaurant recipes Red Lobster has some tilapia recipes listed on their web site.  I haven't been to a Red lobster in over a decade so I can't comment on these plates, but they are worth looking at for ideas.

http://www.redlobster.com/kitchen/recipes/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service