Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi everybody!

You guys probably remember me as Brandon Koots. The boy with a 7 gallon raft system. I grow Guppies. I got about 30 of them. 

• 2 adults
  • 28 babies

A lot of people told me that the plants' roots can not hang in the same water as the fishes. But I kept my system the way it is. 

They also told me that my system is too small. But I still kept my system the way it is. 

Now I got about 10 plants in my system and they are growing great! 

• pH: between 7 and 8
  • Nitrite: 0.0 ppm
  • Nitrate: 10 ppm
  • Ammonia: between 0 and 0.5 ppm

My system is now almost 2 months old. So for those who thought this won't be a success here are some pictures!

Before: 

After:

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great work, how did the cycling go, did you lose any fish, how have you dealt with nutrient lock--if any. For clarification, though, people suggested a larger system because, smaller systems are less stable, we ultimately wanted you to experiment. This gives me some hope on a future system, as well.  
There was no problem. The only thing I did was giving the fishes food and testing the water.
Welcome Back, Good to hear that your cycling wet well and that the fish are doing well.
Thanks

Good for YOU  ---

I started with a 10 gal system also, you will learn a lot about how aquaponics works and how to solve problems.  One thing that I found in a small system is that when thing turn they turn fast and you do not have much buffer to play with.  It is important to make sure you stay with the 1:1 ratio for correct bio filter effect.  One way to add a little extra protections to the system is add a mechanical  filter setup.  You still get the nutrients you need, but it will clean out some of the solids that can over power a small system.  Looks great and kept up the good work and enjoy.

Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service