Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

My fish have not been up to the surface in a week- not even to feed

I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities of what may have stressed them or caused them to change their behavior.

1. I salted the tank 2- weeks ago to rid it of parasites. Then after the first week I added Seaweed extract.

2. On day 10 or 11 of the salt treatment- I decided to do a partial water change, about 30%. Then I added PH down to the tank - target 7.0 - (it went back up the next day) Ammonia & nitrites remained at 0.5 +-

3. 2- days later I did another partial water change 30%.

They were feeding normally, coming up for the food and devouring all of it. It seems they started acting irregular ( staying on the bottom and hiding & not eating as usual) around the same time I did the PH adjustment which was just a fluctuation for 12 hours or so The adj. was a sizeable from- 7.6 to 7.0.

Question- Why are my fish not the happy fish I once knew? They used to be happy. I just want me fish to be happy - so I don't worry :) Should I salt the tank again? What is the best method of measuring the salt content? Will a PPM meter work -What are the alternatives?

Any answers or replies would be greatly appreciated- Thanks, Growzay

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not again! My Koi are flashing again- rubbing up against the pumps & hoses. They are not showing any white spots or fin damage at all.

Question: Should I add more Sea Salt to the system? It has been a week since I added salt. Am I to assume that a substantial amount has been used up by the plants? I have 16 tomato plants, along with some lettuce and broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, spinach, swiss chard &  kale.

Water temp has been in the upper 70's and the tank has been salted for 2 1/2 weeks.

At this point I have been treating w/salt for 5 weeks- altogether... I did a partial water change on day(s) 14-15

I have added a total of 3 1/4 lbs - to  (70 -80 gallons) 

I plan on adding 1 lb.more to the system.

I do not want to lose any Koi!

The salt will not leave your system. The plants won't really use it and it just builds up in your system.  Be careful with adding more.
Plants only use up salt very very slowly so the only real lowering of slat levels from a system on the order of a couple months is really going to be the water changes.  At this point I would really recommend some way to measure the salt level because if you get it too high the plants won't like it.  Ick is definitely dealt with more quickly in warmer water.  Water changes are often rather stressful to fish as is adjusting the pH.  I would highly recommend avoiding extra water changes when you can and doing your pH adjustment in a separate container and letting the water chemistry stabilize before adding it to the system.

Thanks TCLynx - You know, I'm gonna take a sample of water to the Pet Shop & have the salt level tested. 

I have been adjusting the PH in a seperate reservior & letting it sit for 48 hours before using.

TCLynx said:

Plants only use up salt very very slowly so the only real lowering of slat levels from a system on the order of a couple months is really going to be the water changes.  At this point I would really recommend some way to measure the salt level because if you get it too high the plants won't like it.  Ick is definitely dealt with more quickly in warmer water.  Water changes are often rather stressful to fish as is adjusting the pH.  I would highly recommend avoiding extra water changes when you can and doing your pH adjustment in a separate container and letting the water chemistry stabilize before adding it to the system.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service