Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I was wondering if there are any Ideas how to balance my system without any expensive tests. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to afford a test kit. Maybe it's not possible but I thought maybe someone has had success with something that I could glean from. I started my system with goldfish as I have always had success with them living long in just a bowl that we keep clean. Well why would they all die when the plants are helping me? Too many? - I've never had so many (15 or less) but I've also not had a 55 gallon aquarium either. I've had little one to two gallon bowls before. All of my fish died.

Views: 643

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They do make liquid and dropper test kits for checking dissolved oxygen but I doubt you really want to bother with them.  Get an air pump and a couple air stones for your aquarium and your system will be better for it.

As to the yellowing leaves.  If it is the new leaves turning yellow but still with green veins, that is often a sign of Iron deficiency a little maxicrop+ iron or chelated iron should take care of it here in the early days of the system.  If it is the old lower leaves turning yellow, that could be Nitrogen deficiency but I don't think that is the case for you since you have plenty of nitrate. And if there isn't enough light plants can get pale and spindly looking.

Heck in that little system, a sandwich bag full of chelated iron powder should last a few years.

What kind of Iron do you guys use Green Acres?
do you remember the old aquaculturist friend I told you about before? (I wish he'd join this site) anyway... He told me to throw a hanfull of nails into the tank to cover Iron deficiency. -I have these pieces of iron about the size of my hand that I thought i'd use (not as messy as nails-they are rectangles with one hole through the center and about a quarter inch thick or so) do you think this is advisable?

RupertofOZ said:

Probably an iron deficiency related to pH... add some chelated iron... or Maxicrop + Iron...

Adam Shivers said:

Also- some of my plants look to have light colored leaves... what could this be?

OK - so are there any other tricks to getting air in the system? ( i mean with all the auto siphons and everything I just think that way. To be quite honest I am trying to get away from electricity as another goal. I understand and accept the fact that it is available and will make my learning transition more bearable. I just don't want to overlook any non electric options that are simple on the way. I may post this in the off grid group as well to get their responses as well. This site is brilliant, Sylvia!
Sylvia Bernstein said:
Adam, to accurately test for oxygen you need a mete which is a few hundred dollars.  It's hard to over-oygenate a fish tank so if you can get a small aerator with some airstones in there your fish will be all the more happy.  Plus it becomes a backup in case your pump goes down your fish are still getting air.
hey that would be great but I was wondering if something I already have is sufficient.I have these pieces of iron about the size of my hand that I thought i'd use (not as messy as nails-they are rectangles with one hole through the center and about a quarter inch thick or so) do you think this is advisable?

I have about 6 or 8 of those Iron pieces if more would help at one time for more surface area.

Green Acre Organics said:
Hey Adam, the light coloured leaves are very possibly an iron deficiency. It is very typical in new systems and iron is something that needs to be added periodically. It wont hurt the plants but they will look a bit light and splotchy. You can get iron on line for about $30 for a five pound bag. I know you are tight on cash so shoot me your address and we will send you a half pound to get you started!

What is chelated iron powder? and where does it come from?
TCLynx said:

Heck in that little system, a sandwich bag full of chelated iron powder should last a few years.

Chelated iron is manufactured.

As to putting metal into your system, you want to be very sure that it is pure iron and not some alloy that could contain nickel, zinc, copper etc.  And I'm not certain that simply letting iron rust in the water is going to provide iron in a usable form in solution for the plants, especially if your pH is high.  If you want to do some deeper reading on the subject, let me know and I'll go search for another thread on the subject for you.

you are right. I don't know if it's pure. wow good thinking...
You can use a wind/water/electricity powered paddle wheel to increase surface agitation if you feel like experimenting.

Adam Shivers said:

OK - so are there any other tricks to getting air in the system? ( i mean with all the auto siphons and everything I just think that way. To be quite honest I am trying to get away from electricity as another goal. I understand and accept the fact that it is available and will make my learning transition more bearable. I just don't want to overlook any non electric options that are simple on the way. I may post this in the off grid group as well to get their responses as well. This site is brilliant, Sylvia!
Sylvia Bernstein said:
Adam, to accurately test for oxygen you need a mete which is a few hundred dollars.  It's hard to over-oygenate a fish tank so if you can get a small aerator with some airstones in there your fish will be all the more happy.  Plus it becomes a backup in case your pump goes down your fish are still getting air.
We use sequestar 13% chelated iron. I've heard of others tossing in iron too but like TC I would caution against anything that may have any other alloys etc. I also don't know how usable a form of iron that would produce either.

Yea, in larger outdoor systems there are more options for alternative energy.  For the small aquarium system, well it might be possible but I'm not sure how particle it would be.

There are not electrically powered ways to add air, however they usually require some form of mechanical work to happen. 

The very simplest way would be sit there with a straw and blow air into the tank, I think that would get old after a few minutes and make you dizzy.

If you are good at clock work and wind up things you could probably create something that you would wind up a few times a day and it would do the work through the day.  Sorry I don't know of any designs appropriate to sitting nest to the aquarium.

You might be able to manage something with a small solar panel and a little DC air pump but that would only work when the sun was shining on the panel and you really need air 24/7.

I've heard of people using compressed air from a tank to slowly bleed into an air stone in the tank but you want to be sure the compressor that filled the tank couldn't have sprayed oil into it.  But this would involve getting the air tanks re-filled regularly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service