Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Has any one tried using multiple SLO's feeding a single line. I've noticed one or two spots in my 160 gallon IBC FT where I am getting a little solids build up. I'm thinking about t-ing off my SLO to have two, one being in a problem spot. Also thinking about adding some sort of diversion line to create a slow moving vortex which should help keep the solids suspended until one of the SLO's can pick it up. Thoughts?  

As always, your opinions are valued.

Views: 295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have a round tank and use a vortex to drive solids to the center, where the pump intake is - the pump is about two feet above the intake.

Thanks for the reply George. Do you think I can get a decent vortex with rectangular tank? If I can get the solids to accumulate in the center of the tank then I could reposition my SLO and my not need to try the multiple SLO idea.

George said:

We have a round tank and use a vortex to drive solids to the center, where the pump intake is - the pump is about two feet above the intake.

Where is the bottom of the SLO currently located in the IBC... and how is the end terminated...

You might just as easily draw up more solids by adding a horizontal length of pipe along the bottom of the tank.... with slits cut along the bottom...

It might be that your SLO is undersized for your pump inflow... and just not lifting the solids.... or you pump, hence inflow might be too small/low...

You'd probably be better off... if practical... plumbing a larger pipe SLO... than having multiple SLO's...

If you can't then.. sure adding additional SLO's would probably work.... if the inflow/pump is sufficient in the first place...

Thanks RupertofOZ.  I think the SLO is working because it's clean where the SLO terminates for about a six inch radius around it. I have a little basket at the end of it, similar to a netty pot. I've tried it in the center and at the outer edge of the tank. Same result both ways, clean bottom wherever I position it. The accumulation is always at the corners of the tank. I currently have 2 large air stones and an overhead spray for ariation. Thinking about losing the overhead spray and putting in a venturi at the bottom edge of the tank to create a vortex and increase air in the water. The vortex should get the solids to the middle of the tank. What do you think?

RupertofOZ said:

Where is the bottom of the SLO currently located in the IBC... and how is the end terminated...

You might just as easily draw up more solids by adding a horizontal length of pipe along the bottom of the tank.... with slits cut along the bottom...

It might be that your SLO is undersized for your pump inflow... and just not lifting the solids.... or you pump, hence inflow might be too small/low...

You'd probably be better off... if practical... plumbing a larger pipe SLO... than having multiple SLO's...

If you can't then.. sure adding additional SLO's would probably work.... if the inflow/pump is sufficient in the first place...

If you think about it enough, you will surely do it.  Possibly round off the corners a bit?  You might experiment with your return from grow beds to see what directing the flow will do - possibly multiple flow returns which wash solids out of the corners and into the center - either that or drive the solids into a corner where the slo uptake is.  It's worth thinking about.

Tracy Langlinais said:

Thanks for the reply George. Do you think I can get a decent vortex with rectangular tank? If I can get the solids to accumulate in the center of the tank then I could reposition my SLO and my not need to try the multiple SLO idea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service