Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Would daisy-chaining two fish tanks together be problematic for any reason while using only one pump?

I found two IBC Totes near me and was considering cutting the totes using the tops as grow beds and the bottoms as fish tanks. My thought was to pipe the two 200 gal bottoms together and run one pump. I am trying to put a system together with roughly a 300 gal fish tank but could go as high as 400 gal. I considered using one tote by cutting the top off without leaving anything for the grow bed but I am not sure I want to deal with a tank that deep.

Views: 2491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You don't necessarily have to daisy chain the tanks in order to use one pump.  You can simply split the flows so that each tank will get a good amount of water.

I would probably not use the tote fittings to plumb them together if you decided you must plumb them together, I would probably use larger plumbing.

Keep in mind if you flow from one fish tank to the next, the second fish tank will be having all the waste passed from the first fish tank go through it and if the dissolved oxygen gets low in the first tank, it will be really bad for the second tank.

So give each fish tank isn't own feed and let them both drain to the grow beds if it is reasonable.

As to a full height IBC as a fish tank.  Just means you need more than a really short aquarium net to catch the fish.  I've set up an IBC as a fish tank at the market and we just cut a bit more than half of the top off and it's filled to about 200 gallons and seems like a really nice fish tank to me with plenty of extra depth to keep fish from jumping out or critters from reaching in and snagging the fish.

Do you really need 2 fish tanks? 200 gals filled with fish can sustain a good amount of grow area! I have found the more tanks & components you add to a system the more work it becomes. Perhaps you might consider one tank with a higher stocking density to accomplish your growing needs? Have you checked out Murry Hallam's "CHOP 2" Design. Cut the top off 1 IBC use it as a grow bed and the the bottom as your tank. Cut the second IBC to make 2 more grow beds, find yourself a sump and you've got a system. 

Thanks for all the feedback. I looked up Murry Hallam's "CHOP 2" Design and ordered his DVD today.

Download this free IBC manual...  An interactive PDF document thats187 pages packed with information and examples of different systems people have built using IBC's as a major component of their system...

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/IBCofAquaponics1.pdf

Here is what I did with 1 pump and multiple tanks. I made a special adapter using my 3d printer. This particular adapter splits the 3/4 inch pump output into 3 1/4 inch hoses. It's an indoor system, so the lower water flow works well for me.I posted the design for these at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:54029 if you know somebody with a 3d printer. Otherwise, if you are interested in one, direct message me and I can get one your way.

You personally have a 3-d printer Mike? I'd like to build one myself and don't know where to begin. I'd use it for all kinds of things in and out of the greenhouse.

Mike Creuzer said:

Here is what I did with 1 pump and multiple tanks. I made a special adapter using my 3d printer. This particular adapter splits the 3/4 inch pump output into 3 1/4 inch hoses. It's an indoor system, so the lower water flow works well for me.I posted the design for these at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:54029 if you know somebody with a 3d printer. Otherwise, if you are interested in one, direct message me and I can get one your way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service