Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

@Lee Scott - Thanks for the offer.  We gathered enough strap off the floor at Home Depot to run initial tests.  We are looking for something that sinks, and the straps float.  The cost is minimal at 9000 feet for $45.00. 

Since this might turn into an active thread I've started this new discussion.

The goal of this project is:

• Achieve exceptional bio filteration
  • Use free or low cost items
  • Create a system that requires basically no maintenance
  • Reduce the required size of the bio filter
  • Reduce the required overall power consumption.

This last criteria is most important  to me as I see the cumulative utility costs of running an aquaponics system as the largest overall expense next to fish food

Views: 171

Replies to This Discussion

Bob, what you describe sounds a lot like aquaponics. in fact the main reason aquaponics was implemented was to do what your trying to do. the only way you will achieve "no maintenance" or even come close, is with aquaponic media beds. in aquaculture there is an old saying... "its all about imitation not innovation"   ...this is a 60+ year industry, they have figured out what works and what doesn't.

Thanks Rob,  I started to explain to you my reasons for looking outside of conventional aquaponic methods.  While writing I came full circle and saw that you are right.   It comes down to adding more media beds.  

I've been saying it's all about the Nitrates and began to see that as my primary goal.  I kinda got off track from the real goal which is to provide Nitrates to as much high density growing space as possible.  

I've got to quit thinking like an aquarium owner and more like a farmer.  .

Hi. From my experience the imitation is just an acknowledgment that we have not figured it all out yet by any means. The more we know, the more we don't know.  Innovate, innovate, innovate!! 

P.S. I encourage all to attend if you can Aquaculture 2013. Its not cheap but well worth it. You will get a real boost I think. http://was.org.

I usually think I can do things 'just a little better' than it was previously done.
Sometimes I'm wrong but many times I'm not.  EVERY TIME I learn something new.

When Edison 'invented' the light bulb, Joseph Swan had a similar invention but it did not stop Edison from attempting and failing to make a light bulb with over 1400 failures.

Failure and experimentation result in creative thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc

Thank you Dr George.   I think many of us who enter into aquaponics are draw to it because we see an opportunity to invent.  Awhile back I said I spend a lot of time maintaining my aquaponic systems.  Reality is I spend a lot of time fussing over little improvements.   

My friends know me as a tinkerer.  My shop is a mess, filled with pieces of broken appliances, Plexiglass, threaded rod, sheet metal, pipe and fittings of every sort, old motors and pumps, magnets, wire, scrapes of wood, and other building materials, but to me it's a gold mine of stuff I can use to build my ideas. I know how to skinny through all that mess that sprawls within my 2000 sq ft shop and I know right where I put most every bit it.

It's true that I build a lot of stuff that doesn't work, but it keeps me out of trouble and I love doing it.  Occasionally I feel like a genius!

Dr. George B. Brooks, Jr. said:

Hi. From my experience the imitation is just an acknowledgment that we have not figured it all out yet by any means. The more we know, the more we don't know.  Innovate, innovate, innovate!! 

P.S. I encourage all to attend if you can Aquaculture 2013. Its not cheap but well worth it. You will get a real boost I think. http://was.org.

Good video!  That's right we're here to learn from each other and explore new ideas.   Isn't it amazing what the internet has done for creativity?  Thanks for the support. 

Lee Scott said:

I usually think I can do things 'just a little better' than it was previously done.
Sometimes I'm wrong but many times I'm not.  EVERY TIME I learn something new.

When Edison 'invented' the light bulb, Joseph Swan had a similar invention but it did not stop Edison from attempting and failing to make a light bulb with over 1400 failures.

Failure and experimentation result in creative thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc

I'm like that too, a tinkerer. Sometimes I scare myself off a project when I research it to death, but Aquaponics hasn't been that for me. Finally got our first tank up and running minus the fish. Will be adding fish in the near future but right now we're broke. It's a bit different than some of the tanks we've seen, but like you said, that's half the fun, tinkering! 

I'm thinking outside the box again

reducing the cumulative utility costs is why we're looking into running ours off solar power. But that will have to wait till later in the process it seems... I was discussing similar ideas with someone else recently, I think the moving bed filter is a great idea. One question, why do I not hear people talk about vacuuming their tanks like we do with our in home fish tanks? Isn't that the best way to get rid of the solids that sink to the bottom?

@Sean-Michael Gettys - With a bottom pick up I have not found a need to vacuum the bottom

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service