Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Anyone with mosquitoes breeding in their sump tank? How was it resolved? 

I have a 55 gallon barrel sump tank with an opening small enough that I can resolve the problem by covering it with netting or some other material. I am however concerned in that I am putting together a 275 gallon IBC tote system and here the sump tank will be "wide open" (tote cut in half). How do I contend with the anticipated mosquito invasion? HELP????

Views: 584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When water is pouring into the tank it should disturb the surface of the water, mosquitoes don't do well in that environment.

Put a couple of fish in it. If they can fit the mosquito in their mouth, then they will eat them.

Jonathan Kadish NYC AA Chair said:

When water is pouring into the tank it should disturb the surface of the water, mosquitoes don't do well in that environment.

I thought so....but mosquitoes are flying out of my sump tank when I remove my pump for servicing. I am just wondering if anyone else have had similar experience and if so.....how was it resolved.

Thanks.

How about placing a fan to blow your system.

add some mosquito fish in your sump. They will take care of the wrigglers. They also reproduce quickly, you can then use some as feeder fish.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service