Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I wanted to make a window sill AP system to grow some herbs and veggies. This is what I have so far. Total cost 20 dollars.

Parts list:

Plexiglass 

Sponge Filter

Air Pump

2.5 gallon tank

Hydroton

Views: 527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's an awesome idea Chi, what are you going to stock it with?
I have some bettas and guppies. if not I can put in goldfish.

Dan Brown said:
That's an awesome idea Chi, what are you going to stock it with?
It will work better than you think.  I ran the outside IBR system of mine on guppies and goldfish for a summer.  I also have all the components (barring media) for a 5 gallon kitchen system waing and a running 75 gallon aquarium out in the laundry next to my micro system that just need a media bed attached to it.  All these plans and so little time!

This is pretty cool.  I have already taught the habitats strand for science this year in my Grade 4 class, but I think I will do something like this next year.  Thanks for the idea.

One question to you or to the other experts here:  Is the hydroton a good biofilter?  Would enough beneficial bacteria be present, or would there still need to be a pebble media to help break down the ammonia?

I'm a newbie, so I'm getting familiar with the processes.

Thanks!

Adam in Beamsville, Ontario

Any hard surface will grow beneficial bacteria. Hydroton has a lot of surface area to grow beneficial bacteria. 

Adam Jensen said:

This is pretty cool.  I have already taught the habitats strand for science this year in my Grade 4 class, but I think I will do something like this next year.  Thanks for the idea.

One question to you or to the other experts here:  Is the hydroton a good biofilter?  Would enough beneficial bacteria be present, or would there still need to be a pebble media to help break down the ammonia?

I'm a newbie, so I'm getting familiar with the processes.

Thanks!

Adam in Beamsville, Ontario

Elegant and simple design!

Would this work for a quarantine system?

How will you flood and drain (timer, siphon...)?

Is the sponge filter necessary in addition to the hydroton?

Thanks for the compliment. The sponge filter isn't necessary. It's what I have on hand. It will be constant flow. Sure you could use it for quarantine.

Peter H. said:

Elegant and simple design!

Would this work for a quarantine system?

How will you flood and drain (timer, siphon...)?

Is the sponge filter necessary in addition to the hydroton?

Just to make sure you get proper credit when I copy this design for my classroom, I'm going to call this the

Chimaponics Tank   :)

I like it! It makes the 14 gallon one I am building look huge!

The divided beta tank is a nice touch.

I am working out a behind-the-tank sump for mine so I can keep a constant aquarium height so it looks better. No water crusties at the top of the tank. The 14 gallon tank is a tall 10 gallon size, so I could also just let the water height vary as the grow bed floods and drains.

I will post more photos here is at comes along.

Small aquarium systems are great.  I've found that it takes very little feeding to keep them ticking over since houseplants and low light herbs don't seem to be sucking out the nutrients as fast as the outdoor systems so once the system is cycled up it should tick along nicely.

Got it up and running!

How do you feed the gold fish?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service