Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I'm curious if anybody uses this type of crustacean as a scavenger in their systems? I am going to try them to consume the detritus in my fish tank. Right now I have a large amount of algae, but when I add fish i will have algae plus fish waste. i want something to help break up the fish waste, consume any small bits of uneaten food etc.

At this point even if the crawdads I put in the the pool all die, they will provide nitrogen for the cycling process. So it is a win/win situation right now. But i would like to have some permanent scavengers.

Views: 1105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's crawfish season here in Texas. I'm starting a small proof of concept system witha only a 45 gallon GB and FT. The water is nearing the end of its cycle and live crawfish are $2.48 a pound. I thought I'd experiment, pick up one pound up and put 4-6 them in the tank just to see if I could keep them alive and raise them in a bigger 300 gallon tank next year. I know I have to provide some PVC homes since they like to fight each other. I'm hoping they will clean the bottom of detritus. The crappies will likely eat any babies though so I'd have to have a nursery. Good luck with your system.

I have crayfish in my 300 Gallon FT and in my raft bed tank, they seem to be doing well.

txdurk said:

It's crawfish season here in Texas. I'm starting a small proof of concept system witha only a 45 gallon GB and FT. The water is nearing the end of its cycle and live crawfish are $2.48 a pound. I thought I'd experiment, pick up one pound up and put 4-6 them in the tank just to see if I could keep them alive and raise them in a bigger 300 gallon tank next year. I know I have to provide some PVC homes since they like to fight each other. I'm hoping they will clean the bottom of detritus. The crappies will likely eat any babies though so I'd have to have a nursery. Good luck with your system.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service