Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Does anyone know a light weighted medium I can use for my vertical aquaponics system?

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perlite is pretty light. Expanded clay is not too heavy.  But unless you keep the plants small you will have considerable weight in biomass and water retention.  The design should be able to hold twice your anticipated weight at least.  Should you pick it up and it bounce it, the force could collapse your structure if not designed properly. Don't forget our old friend Murphy: Anything that can go wrong, will.

I dont know how much weight the design can hold that's why I want a light weighted medium. The design will have a pvc bottom in square form. At each side of the square, a pvc will come that will be the vertical system. This will be standing in my fish pond

Rick Stillwagon said:

Perlite is pretty light. Expanded clay is not too heavy.  But unless you keep the plants small you will have considerable weight in biomass and water retention.  The design should be able to hold twice your anticipated weight at least.  Should you pick it up and it bounce it, the force could collapse your structure if not designed properly. Don't forget our old friend Murphy: Anything that can go wrong, will.

Then you might want to try the Matala type material that is similar to that in the zip grow towers.  It is a filter media used in bio filters. Cant get any lighter than that.

I will look for that. Thanks!

Rick Stillwagon said:

Then you might want to try the Matala type material that is similar to that in the zip grow towers.  It is a filter media used in bio filters. Cant get any lighter than that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service