Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

My system includes a 330-gallon tank with 50 largemouth bass that are growing quickly. They are producing more nutrients than my system can handle, so I need to cull the herd. A friend with a pond has offered to take a few bass. His pond has catfish, about the same size as my bass (6" to 8").

Will the two species coexist peacefully together? Or is this a bad idea?

Views: 518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They coexist in all stocked farm ponds that I know of.  Larger bass will eat small catfish and any other fish they can swallow.

What do you feed your bass?

Thanks for the reply, George. Bass are fed 3/16" 40% protein commercial feed. They are big enough now to eat bigger pellets.

huh.  I have one largemouth in my tank and just about every day I dig one or more large earthworms for him.  Sometimes I'm able to catch a lizard to throw to him.  I throw pellets to bluegill in the tank but have never seen the bass eat any of it.  Maybe he's holding out for the worms.  

Dennis Jay said:

Bass are fed 3/16" 40% protein commercial feed. They are big enough now to eat bigger pellets.

On second thought, will your bass adapt to life in the wild after eating pellets all their life?  Will your friend continue to feed them pellets?

Bass are adaptable and rather smart. I'd sure they will adapt. 30 of them are being transferred to a pond this weekend.

George said:

On second thought, will your bass adapt to life in the wild after eating pellets all their life?  Will your friend continue to feed them pellets?

Maybe I'll teach mine a few tricks.  Already he will skyrocket a few inches and take a worm out of my hand.  I get a laugh out of it every time.  

Dennis Jay said:

Bass are adaptable and rather smart.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service