Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi All,

I'm in the process of setting up a commercial system with just under 100,000 sq ft of grow space at complete build out, with multiple isolated systems, 

Is anyone doing anything similar?

Views: 2381

Replies to This Discussion

Where are you doing this?
in the Bahamas
Wow, that will be a large operation!! I have never heard of anything near that scale. The last I checked Friendly was about 6500 sqft. You must have a good market to set your sights that high! What crops do you intend to grow?
WOW !  That's huge !

The Bahamas imports in excess of $35million every year in fresh produce, $12million plus in lettuce alone (that includes romaine, head lettuce, mixed greens), in addition to a variety of herbs (basil, parsley, cilantro, chives etc.).

Primary focus will be on mixed greens and herbs initially,

Chris Smith said:

Wow, that will be a large operation!! I have never heard of anything near that scale. The last I checked Friendly was about 6500 sqft. You must have a good market to set your sights that high! What crops do you intend to grow?
Total grow space is approximately 100,000 sq ft, the complete system will be 324,480sq ft on 10 acres

Rodolfo Castillo said:

One aquaponic system is about 750m2 = 6750ft2...have plans to build 6 system. All this fits inside of an area of less than a Hectarea 10,000m2 = 90,000 ft2 aprox. 

What is included in the 100,000?

wow thats huge

Congratulations & Good Luck :-)

Would love to come and see it when built. Please keep us posted on your progress.

God bless,

The fun part would be trying to bring in live tilapia from El Salvador to the Bahamas, have to figure out the logistics on that first.

Rodolfo Castillo said:

Good luck.

If you need Tilapia seed, we will have a 100,000 a month capacity next year.

We will have red hybrid and grey frys and fingerlings.

Red Tilapia to sell plate size and grey for fillet.

I have 13.9 Hectareas equivalent to 34.3 acres.

The Aquaponic project plus hatchery/nursery and green house is only about 4 hectareas = 10 acres

The rest is for Avocado, Mango and Zapote plantation, cattle and houses.

W. Hall said:

Total grow space is approximately 100,000 sq ft, the complete system will be 324,480sq ft on 10 acres

Rodolfo Castillo said:

One aquaponic system is about 750m2 = 6750ft2...have plans to build 6 system. All this fits inside of an area of less than a Hectarea 10,000m2 = 90,000 ft2 aprox. 

What is included in the 100,000?

If all goes as planned it will allow us to further expand our knowledge on aquaponics, especially for Tropical/Subtropical regions

Sahib Punjabi said:

Congratulations & Good Luck :-)

Would love to come and see it when built. Please keep us posted on your progress.

God bless,

Sound very interesting .. please keep us posted on your progress ... you will be a wealth of knowledge to others that want to start commercial systems.  You are taking on a big project in a new emerging field ... My partner and I will be doing the same but will be trying to set up smaller local commercial systems to help keep transportation down.  There is so much to learn at this point ...so please keep us posted... can't wait to come to the Bahamas to see your system if you are allowing tours. Hope you plan to attend the conference in Orlando Fl in Sept.  It will be important to help get some type of certification for Aquaponic systems.

Hi Wayne, I just saw your post. How is the construction of your system coming? Do you need help? I have green building and solar electric background. Im looking to get some hands on with building aquaponics systems. Id love to speak with you. Cheers, John

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service