Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

the big tank is 4'x8'x18"

the 2 smaller ones are 4'x4'x10"

and a 27 gallon rubber maid

I can get or make from pond liner one more tank to use in the system , not sure what to add. I want to grow prawns under a raft and trout or tilapia and lots of veggies. Any suggestions are welcome. Pictures on my page

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

pics
Attachments:

FYI, you can post pictures directly into the posts by using the image button (second from left at the top of the post box.)

Like this

I think you will find that the 27 gallon rubbermaid is probably too small for a sump tank unless you run constant flood for everything.

Pond liner is great stuff but I caution about using it next to lumber in termite territory.  However I've lately tried a new way of making liner troughs, they are still new so I won't guarantee them over time yet but I think it would be a really good way to make liner raft beds (then you could use your heavy 4' by 8' for a media bed for filtration)  anyway here is a link

liner troughs

Thanks for the help with the pics .

What should I use to clean off the old mineral and salt deposits ?

Ok well what if I have a 275 food grade tote for the fish tank and I add a 55 gallon drum with river rock or gravel only no plants in between the fish tank and the raft/prawn tank

TCLynx said:

FYI, you can post pictures directly into the posts by using the image button (second from left at the top of the post box.)

Like this

I think you will find that the 27 gallon rubbermaid is probably too small for a sump tank unless you run constant flood for everything.

Pond liner is great stuff but I caution about using it next to lumber in termite territory.  However I've lately tried a new way of making liner troughs, they are still new so I won't guarantee them over time yet but I think it would be a really good way to make liner raft beds (then you could use your heavy 4' by 8' for a media bed for filtration)  anyway here is a link

liner troughs

I do also like the liner trough idea. Its got me thinking...........mmmmmmmmmmmm

I wouldn't worry much about the minerals on the tanks.  You could use vinegar to help dissolve it if you really want too though.

I think an IBC tote would make a fine fish tank (paint the outside or wrap it in something to protect it from the sun and reduce algae.)

A barrel full of gravel or some other high surface area media can make a fine bio-filter.  Bird netting, scrubbies, screen or an assortment of other things would work and you can add air into the bottom of an upwelling bio-filter to help with filtration too.  There are lots of bio-filter designs out there.

So here is a bit of an update , I have learned so much from you guys Thanks ! I decided to bite the bullet and dig the enormous hole to put the big 360 gallon tank in the ground to help keep the temperature more consistent for the fish. I decided to make it the fish tank and save back some money for the other components .  I have got 3 sides made for my greenhouse , all out of scrap or what friends and neighbors have given me  .
Nice. If you were closer I'd pitch in and help.
Very good, making progress.
So I am at a crossroad .... I am using the tanks I have until I can add to the system . So the

big  4'x8'x18" is the fish tank and the 2

4'x4'x10"are going to be continuous flow gravel beds for now ......

Here 's  the problem  ... I don't like pumping straight out of the fish tank .... I am afraid of  springing a leak somewhere and draining the fish tank accidentally............... so what can I do . and will it involve drilling a hole in my fish tank? make a sump ?

You can always put in a float switch to shut off the pump.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/water-draining-service-float-switch-flui...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service