I have two growbeds. I built two siphons for them. I am using one pumb in a sumb tank with a splitter. I have a valve for each bed to control the water going in the bed. So far so good. Every once in a while, one of them would "hang". either at the start time or end time of the siphon cycle. I know that if I do have too little of a flow, the siphon will never start and if I have too much of a flow, the siphon will never stop.
My question is what other tricks I can do to improve the situation when it hangs. At one point, it seems that I can not get the water flow just right. I have a 2" bell on top of the 3/4 inch pipe. The 2" bell has holes in the bottom to get the siphon going, Can anyone tell me what would happen if I put too more holes, would that help the start of the siphon or the end of the siphon to take place?
If you can, as it worked for me, is to INCREASE the input side of the siphon, and DECREASE the output side to CREATE some velocity. Here what I did: On the top of your 3/4 inch, add a 1 inch to 3/4 inch reducing sleeve. This will INCREASE the flow INTO the output side. At the OUTPUT side, AFTER passing thru the bottom of the bed, add a 3/4 to 1/2 reducing sleeve, with a small piece of 1/2 inch pipe. What this dose is create some back pressure to start the siphon, and because the volume coming in is "pushed" thru a smaller hole going out, it increases in speed, "pulling" more water with it. If your bell has enough holes/slits cut in it, and they are high enough (1 1/2 to 2" from the bottom) , and with the the water draining faster than it is coming in, it should "break" siphon. If it gurgles a couple of times, as if it want to keep running, that is OK, it just needs to "gulp" enough air to stop.
Hope that helps.
Have a much holes as you can all around the bottom of the bell. Leave between a 1 inch to 1-1/2 inch gap between the top of the stand pipe and the top of the bell. Reduce the stand pipe exit with a 1/2 inch reducer. Try the first two fixes and see if the third one becomes necessary.
Do a YouTube search for the better bell siphon.
Thanks a million. This is exactly what I was looking for. it is running perfect and consistently. :)
May be you can share your tricks for how to recycle the system. I sure can use some help in that area. it has been a long time since I started the fishless cycle. I have lettuce and yesterday I added Kale. They seem to be doing fine. However, the Nitrate and Nitrite all a solid zero. I have a thread under system cycle, call "numbers do not make sense" if you like to reply there.