Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

How do you folks remove the excess fish urine in the tank?

Ya'll,

How do you folks remove the excess fish urine in the tank? I do realize that the growbed is supposed to filter the water back into the tank, however the water looks like it has a yellow cast to it.

Fish are thriving, plants are growing so I guess I'm the only one who is affected by it. 

Any suggestion, recommendations or comments about this topic would be helpful?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really hope you are kidding.

But just in case. The fish waste all of it, is Filtered by nitrification. Micro Stuff. Ammonia in nitrites out. or Fish stuff in green plants out.

Nope was not kidding.

I am quite aware about filtration by nitrification, however my fish tank water seems to have a yellowish cast to it and I am concerned about urine content and what to do about it? Water testing is within tolerances, plants are growing well and the fish seem to be doing fine. I was just concerned about the color of my fish tank water ... is a yellow cast completely normal?

Brad said:

I really hope you are kidding.

But just in case. The fish waste all of it, is Filtered by nitrification. Micro Stuff. Ammonia in nitrites out. or Fish stuff in green plants out.

The color is normal.  If you want a different color, throw a little iron in it.

If you truly had urine buildup, you'd see it in the ammonia test.

There's no such thing as fish urine; which makes the whole discussion seem kind of silly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service