Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi,

I am still very new at aquaponics and loving it soooo much.  However, I have a rather silly question, which is just how high/deep should the water get in my grow beds?  We have a flood and drain system with beds that are about 12 inches deep and when the water fills the beds I can see it right at the top of the media.  I feel that it should not be coming up that high and think that it should only get about 4 to 6 inches deep in the beds. However, my husband thinks that it should get all the way up to the top of the media. I am truly concerned about root rot and I would really appreciate any input and advice anyone could lend.  Thanks.

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The water should be below the media at least and inch to inch and half below. If you see the water on the top of media bed it is to high and will grow some serious algae on the surface and start to cause you some problems.

David I have mine set to fill about 2 inches below the top of the grow media.  I have one, as an experiment, that the water barely comes up to the top of the grow media.  This one as algae growing on the media the others don't.  The few plants I planted last year did just as well either way. I planted the same things in each bed. I don't know how much of a problem the algae will cause if any.  I however would keep the water below the grow media to avoid any problems. Tom  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service