Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi there

I'm a freelance writer in New Zealand, currently working on an entry level DIY article about backyard aquaponics for New Zealand Gardener Magazine, our largest home gardening publication. I have been trialling a homemade micro system for 6 months + with great results and I’m well sold aquaponics now. Can’t wait to build a bigger system...

Anyway, I am finding very hard to source images of backyard systems in action for publication with the article and was hoping somebody here could help. Although I cannot offer payment for images, they would be credited to you in the magazine and I would ensure a copy was sent to you, where you are in the world. I really hope someone can help!

Many Thanks and kind regards

Virgil Evetts

Views: 204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Virgil! You are more than welcome to browze my page for images. You can use some if they are what you might be looking for. Also, you can view my website listed on my page here. Thanks, let me know if you do please..

What are you looking for exactly in these images (pictures of fish and plants accessories systems sketchups etc...)? Give a rough idea of what your article is going to be about to pinpoint images suited to your topic. 

Thanks Irvin

It's a basic intro to backyard aquaponics, emphasising how (relatively easy) it is to get started, and that although the basic principles remain the same, all sorts of set ups are possible, using all sorts of equipment and reclaimed materials- as your picture shows so nicely. I’d particularly like to see healthy food crops growing in fairy simply systems, pics of fish, really whatever you feel like sharing. These need to fairly high res too for printing.

Thanks so much

Virgil

l

The system you see in the picture maybe a very unlikely setup and perhaps unique because of the entailing circumstances. This unit above my fish tank was originally designed for Hydrponics and not Aquaponics but was perfectly adapted to my system by purposely ignoring the instructions of drilling an air-intake-hole on the overflow pipe to avoid auto-syphoning. It turns out that by letting it auto-siphon I avoided the purchase of a costly timer and in the process made my system less dependent on technology.

Some advantages of this system are that it allows me a clear view of my fish and the roots of my plants and easy changing of plants. I spend less on aggregates and structural cost plus it weighs little and can be supported by lighter cheaper infrastructure. Disadvantages less rugged and cannot support heavy weighted plants and PVC parts are now more expensive. And the time it takes to assemble is also a liability. I already had them lying around so I took advantage of them.  Please let me know if you’re interested in using this unique and creative system setup. My email is info@Acuaponia.TV

Virgil Evetts said:

Thanks Irvin

It's a basic intro to backyard aquaponics, emphasising how (relatively easy) it is to get started, and that although the basic principles remain the same, all sorts of set ups are possible, using all sorts of equipment and reclaimed materials- as your picture shows so nicely. I’d particularly like to see healthy food crops growing in fairy simply systems, pics of fish, really whatever you feel like sharing. These need to fairly high res too for printing.

Thanks so much

Virgil

l

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service