Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

My thumb is blue not green,, I put some of the wolly stuff they sell in net pots placed in a tray of water about half way up the pots and only one out of about 50 seeds sprouted  how do we get the seeds ready   I am going to use them in a floating mat

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, where did you get your seeds? Also are you talking about rockwool or coir when you say the wolly stuff? What's worked for me in the past is putting it in a media system directly (hydroponic) or putting it in perlite. We'll need to know some more before we can find the problem. 

I have seeds from multiple places, peppers seeds I gained from peppers I eat,  (I had 100% germination in dirt) the rest from lowes,, or the feed store in town.  Yes I placed them in rockwool.  

How ,many days should it take?  only the brocolli sprouted  still waiting on the rest, been too long 5 or 6 days

Hmm... it seems you have a bit more experience with starting seeds, considering the 100% germination rate, so if you tell us about the conditions the other members can help. I've never been patient enough for peppers to sprout; I hear they take about 2/3 of a month. Also, how did you get a 100% germination rate?

Some seeds are very fast to sprout (turnips and lettuce)

Others can take a very long time (a month)

Now making sure the temperatures are appropriate for sprouting the different seeds and also making sure you are not water logging the seeds will be important.

I don't have any experience with rockwool so I don't know the tricks (and I believe there may be some) to making sure you get them right.

Some types of seeds need dark to germinate and others need light.  If you happened to plant on a barrel day (planting by the moon calender) perhaps that might explain the poor germination.  Did you plant some of each type in dirt and in the rock wool all on the same day?

5 or 6 days isn't too long for some seeds, depends on what type of seeds.  Broccoli, lettuce and turnips are all fast to sprout.

Thanks for the responces,  I left them inside for a few days for darkness.  not sure about the water  but am not keeping them too wet.  I have not planted in dirt since the spring.  I will get my liner in the ground and  the floating rafts in to see if I do better that way

TCLynx said:

Some seeds are very fast to sprout (turnips and lettuce)

Others can take a very long time (a month)

Now making sure the temperatures are appropriate for sprouting the different seeds and also making sure you are not water logging the seeds will be important.

I don't have any experience with rockwool so I don't know the tricks (and I believe there may be some) to making sure you get them right.

Some types of seeds need dark to germinate and others need light.  If you happened to plant on a barrel day (planting by the moon calender) perhaps that might explain the poor germination.  Did you plant some of each type in dirt and in the rock wool all on the same day?

5 or 6 days isn't too long for some seeds, depends on what type of seeds.  Broccoli, lettuce and turnips are all fast to sprout.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service