Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Living in VA the temps can drop into the teens at times.  I have a 450 gal aquaponic system setup in an unheated 30x48 greenhouse and was wondering what heating system is optimal for regulating water temps around 70F degrees?  Raising Blue tilapia; they seem to be happy if I keep temp above 70F.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care, Rick Kondash

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you build this system yourself or buy property with this setup?  Is this the first year you plan on going through winter with this system?  What is the ambient temperature of the greenhouse vs. outside temps?  What type of fish?

I'd say you're definitely going to have to heat the greenhouse at some point during the winter.  You should begin to research about composting inside of your greenhouse and using 55 gallon drums in the greenhouse to help retain heat in the winter. These two methods would be free; however, I still think you may have to supplement with additional heat during deep winter.  

Hey Rick, we have quite a discussion going over here:

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/heating-fish-t...

Personally here in the Smokys of NE TN I prefer wood. How's Blizzard Sandy treating you? We are still snowing here.About 1/2 way thru building my wood gasification stove which will heat the fish water, the solar storage system and the hot tub:-) Still on kero for the moment but this cold snap will pass. Inside the GH is still happy but I need to start heating the water soon:

Best of luck up there. Are you in the mtns?

Roger,
Thanks for the feedback. I did build the system myself and this is the first winter for having Tilapia. I will definitely try the composting and passive solar heating you mentioned. Additionally, I was hoping to heat the fish tank water which would then act as a heat sink and assist with warming the GH air. Sunny daytime temp in the GH can vary 40 F degrees from outside temp.

Roger Emmick said:

Did you build this system yourself or buy property with this setup?  Is this the first year you plan on going through winter with this system?  What is the ambient temperature of the greenhouse vs. outside temps?  What type of fish?

I'd say you're definitely going to have to heat the greenhouse at some point during the winter.  You should begin to research about composting inside of your greenhouse and using 55 gallon drums in the greenhouse to help retain heat in the winter. These two methods would be free; however, I still think you may have to supplement with additional heat during deep winter.  

try the DIY heater or look into spa heaters.... insulate the tank with reflective bubble wrap at a minimum.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service